YFZ Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i (wife,kids) will be moving out to vegas area (summerlin) the first of the year. where are some good areas to ride?.. and will i need a permit?.. the only experience i have with sand dunes was down in genoa NE... at that time i had a '10 yfzx with epoxy/ported head, 06+ yfz cam, fci intake, hmf exhaust, and msd tunner. stock gear and sand skate V paddles.
i had issues stalling it starting off in the softer deep sand.. my current bike is a '07 other then the sparks full exhaust and intake it is stock...for now..
what are the "to do" upgrades for riding in dunes.. gearing, tire size, tire design.. from what i understand V paddles are best for turning?..
number of paddles and engine mods?
i have been researching but does the area dictate the mods?..or is there much of a difference.... sand is sand?
thanks, eric

·
Registered
556 Posts
21x12x8 6 paddle hauler will work great in the sand but it will be a little harder to turn you will have to use your body a bit more ....
stock gearing should be fine , get your self a fci intake and rejet

dumont dunes should be somewhat near you

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. . The guy I bought the 07 from said something about it having a a intake. ..I believe fci.. but I haven't looking. . As for the tires you recommend.. do they V style paddles not perform very well?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for the reply. . The guy I bought the 07 from said something about it having a a intake. ..I believe fci.. but I haven't looking. . As for the tires you recommend.. do they V style paddles not perform very well?
Try and stick with a 8inch rim 21inch diameter , floats alot better than a 10inch rim.
Usually the V paddles are the cheap molded tires (very heavy around 19 pounds each) - sand skate , sand stars , ect ect
Try to stick with Skat trak , lightweight(around 13 pounds each) , great quality , come in many differennt sizes .
The v paddles are very fun because you can whip the like around with little to no effort , best for dune style riding ... Skat trak Edge is what you want if you go with the V style
On the other hand the skat trak haulers have straight paddles are still very duneable, but where they shine the most is on the hill and flat drags . Their is a huge paddle thread on here if you look for it , very helpful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang..2 hours.. lol i was hoping some would be little closer... I had to drive 3 hrs to go to Genoa ne.

Thanks Dmaxguy!... those sand skate are some heavy tires that I had before they were on 10" rim as well.. wonder if that was my issue I had with '10 needing the clutch dumped to keep from stalling in the soft stuff.
I will look into the shat trak edge tires.
Before I ran knoby tires on the front. What's everyone opinion on that?.. better turning going with sand tires?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
..guess it was 4hr to genoa..so guess 2hr to Dumont isn't so bad

So stock carb yfz makes good enough power for dunes?

·
Registered
556 Posts
..guess it was 4hr to genoa..so guess 2hr to Dumont isn't so bad

So stock carb yfz makes good enough power for dunes?
Yes untill you get deeper into the motor

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha..my bad. What I meant is will a stock carburated model yfz's make enough power for the dunes like Dumont?

·
Registered
556 Posts
With a good exhaust and intake with a set of paddles you will climb almost anything

·
Super Moderator
3,994 Posts
On the north side of town and East of I15 I saw a very active riding area on the side of a bluff. No sand however, pretty close to ride on. They have lots of desert riding!

·
Registered
81 Posts
HI YFZ....Nellis Dunes is just outside of Vegas heading north on I-15 about 30 minutes max from Summerlin area but it really is refereed to as a sand box not a very big area but enough to play on for a couple of hours. Now Dumont Dunes from Summerlin is 2 hours max like stated in previous posts...another option is Armagosa Dunes which is north of Summerlin less that 2 hours so you have a few areas to choose from...but just an FYI...Vegas has a ton of desert riding :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I live northwest of summerlin. I can get to dumont in an hour and 45 min when im not hauling a trailer. It's 2 hrs with my trailer. Your 3 mod is just fine for dumont. I recommend a 6 paddle 21in extreme or hauler. If you get stuck on one of the taller steeper dunes i wouldn't want a v paddle. Nellis "dunes" you only need dirt tires

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Dumont dunes FTW! press the gas pedal down a little bit more you can make it in 1.5 hours. its 25 mins or so east of baker (where the giant thermometer is) Dumont>Glamis Dumont>strippers Dumont>Honda Dumont>your favorite beer

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry to bring back an old thread.. just wanted to thank everyone for replying and offering some very useful info!! I have been away for awhile with the move and "settling in". I sold the 07 I had since I didn't have a way to haul it..Now I do. I recently purchased a 04 in need of help..so im in the process of gathering parts to get it going.. I can not wait to check out these areas mentioned!! and since we move down off blue diamond/Durango area there are some areas around me. thanks again!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts