YFZ Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that more travel in a shock gives you the ability to hit harder but that seems to really only be an issue for MX riders that do alot of jumping where a tremendous amount of pressure is placed on the suspension from jumping.

I race in a cross country series that does usually (but not always) incorporate MX sections in its courses but the main concern seems to be just handling rough terrain. I seem to wish I had a better suspension after riding over washboard areas in 4th or 5th gear. I don't hit the big jumps in the first place (I leave that to the pros as I ride in the 30+ class) so it seems to me that if I were to upgrade my suspension that I wouldn't need to bother with a long travel setup.

I'd just like to get more experienced riders opinion on this.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yes, long travel does help in XC. You have more range of motion to use to soak up all those rocks, roots, jumps, ditches and ruts. Also they hold more oil so they won't be as likely to heat up.
Does that make sense?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it does make sense... I just hate the idea of finding the cash for new a-arms :) I think I'll stick with stock a-arms and DeRisi rebuilds (soon I hope).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts