YFZ Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a little more power out of my 04’ YFZ450. It’s pretty much stock except for the full Yosh exhaust, K&N air filter/ air box, and the “Cam mod” most people do. Besides a big bore kit, is there anything else I can do to add some more power? Would putting a set of Hotcams in it made a big gain in power? The things got crazy power already, but I figure a little more won’t hurt. This is mainly a trail quad, I don’t race. Are there any other power mods I can do that aren’t crazy expensive? Does anyone make a thinner base or head gasket to bump up the compression a little?

·
Registered
592 Posts
You're better off with your current cams if you're looking for more power. Try bumping the piston up to higher compression. Could do a good port & up size your valves. Few ways to get power. Hotcams isn't one.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I’m looking for a little more power out of my 04’ YFZ450. It’s pretty much stock except for the full Yosh exhaust, K&N air filter/ air box, and the “Cam mod” most people do. Besides a big bore kit, is there anything else I can do to add some more power? Would putting a set of Hotcams in it made a big gain in power? The things got crazy power already, but I figure a little more won’t hurt. This is mainly a trail quad, I don’t race. Are there any other power mods I can do that aren’t crazy expensive? Does anyone make a thinner base or head gasket to bump up the compression a little?
DASA/MONSTER exhaust,and a FCI will make a huge difference,do a search on the big 3 and you will see what set ups on carb'd bikes make power,I've seen 3 mod bikes make 50hp,cam mod,FCI,monster set up and a good tune will do it

·
Registered
141 Posts
You're better off with your current cams if you're looking for more power. Try bumping the piston up to higher compression. Could do a good port & up size your valves. Few ways to get power. Hotcams isn't one.
Squirrel , im a web cams dealer and just so you know we ran hot Cams in alex's motors , they do make power, Pro class racing power if this guy could get his hands on a builder intake hot cam he would get a nice bang for the buck.

·
Registered
592 Posts
^^^Are you reffering to a hotcam with a custom grind? Because out of the box, I was under the impression, no power is produced, yet current power will move from one side of the curve to the other, hence my statement. There was a thread here containing a cam shootout and the stockers ran right up there with the big names. In certain build setups of course.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I didn't have good luck with my hotcams. Stage 1 Intake and modded Ex Cam. I dynod at 50/29 on a pump gas 470. Exact same motor with stock cams ran 51/32, however on a different dyno. So the numbers aren't exactly comparable, but my "seat of the pants" dyno let me to believe that they were not delivering the power like the stockers.

I sold one of my Stage 1 intakes, but I kept the other to try in my 480 build with a ported head. Probably not worth it, but I am curious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.