YFZ Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, the time has finally come. all of my new parts i have so longly awaited are here :)

I installed a Works Connection pro-perch with the decompression lever and purchased the decompression kit from yamaha to install, but i don't have a clue as to how to install it. Going to swap it out at the same time i change the cam mod over to the YZ cam and 13:1 piston. anyone out there installed yet?

other parts going on this week include lsr swingarm, dc-4's, shark racing hubs, axcalibur axle, kickstart kit, pingel kill switch, gyt-r pressure plate, gyt-r clutch basket, hinson inner hub, gyt-r billet brake and shifter levers. still awaiting the flywheel, rewound stator, mr16's and handlebar hid's from trailtech to redo all of the lights.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I may be missing something here or am really confuesed, but why a decompression kit? Unless I am mistaken, there is an automatic decompression mechanism on the cam that releases the compression until the motor reached x-amount of rpm's! On the old YZ motorcycles (400's and 426's) it was neccessary to have the manual decompression device, but not on the YZ or YFZ 450's. Are you meaning that you got the "hot-start" kit? Not the decompression kit?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Originally posted by smith@Feb 9 2004, 05:14 PM
I may be missing something here or am really confuesed, but why a decompression kit? Unless I am mistaken, there is an automatic decompression mechanism on the cam that releases the compression until the motor reached x-amount of rpm's! On the old YZ motorcycles (400's and 426's) it was neccessary to have the manual decompression device, but not on the YZ or YFZ 450's. Are you meaning that you got the "hot-start" kit? Not the decompression kit?
i was thinking the same thing, but then noticed you are installing a 13:1 piston. i guess the added compression is too much for the stock decompression mechanism? your best bet is to contact yamaha and ask them

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
You are talking about the decompression like the 01-02 bikes had right?

Not the hot start?

If it is truely the decomp then you have to take the plug out of the head above the header pipe and that is where it goes.

I have the 13:1 piston and don't have it.

You don't really need it, the cam has auto decomp built in, but whatever.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the kit from bob and found out it actually goes on the Front of teh motor, not inside the plug like the older bikes. there is a small spot on front right side of motor if sitting on it that it is installed. the kit finds top dead center and used when starting. I have a works pro-perch lever that is designed to add it in or i probably wouldn't have bought it. but if it helps witht the 13:1, yz cam and kicker, then it paid for itself.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Yeah I know what you are talking about. I was talking to bob today and he said that he had it on his to help him start it with the kicker.

But it does fo in the hole above the head pipe, I am pretty dang sure of this.

I could be wrong but I don't think so.

And the reason i am pretty sure of this is because the only reason we startd talking about it was we were talking about all these folks plug popping out the one above the header, and Bob told me he had the decomp mechanism on his bike. i have a billet plug in mine.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, bob is the one that sold me on it too. I talk to him almost on a daily basis and he is the one that told me where it was supposed to be installed at. I will be pulling the valve cover off before the week is over and will post once I have it installed on the how-to aspect of the deal. He said it was super simple.

I think i missread your original post. there is a small black plug in the front top right side of the motor and YES, it's right above the header pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts