YFZ Central banner

Cylinder Works Cylinder

3K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  kelcrist2 
#1 ·
so im trying to install a 98mm cylinder from cylinder works and theres a problem with the cam chain. the cam chain doesnt fit in the slot. has anyone else run into this? if you had a chain with a master link it would work fine cuz you could run the chain up and over the tight spot. but since the chain is endless it wont fit through. the slot needs to be about 1-2 mm wider but im not sure grinding it out is a good idea. of course they are closed today so i cant ask them if its a defect or what..............

#2 ·
QUOTE (kelcrist2 @ Feb 28 2009, 02:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=752154
so im trying to install a 98mm cylinder from cylinder works and theres a problem with the cam chain. the cam chain doesnt fit in the slot. has anyone else run into this? if you had a chain with a master link it would work fine cuz you could run the chain up and over the tight spot. but since the chain is endless it wont fit through. the slot needs to be about 1-2 mm wider but im not sure grinding it out is a good idea. of course they are closed today so i cant ask them if its a defect or what..............[/b]

Can you take some pics.... i really cant understand the cam chain being even close... the guides are wider than the chain itself.... so what your saying isnt making sense to me.

#3 ·
i dont have time to take a pic at the moment.............. picture the slot the cam chain rides in ................now imagine it is an hourglass shape instead of a rectangle. the casting has extra material in the center that prevents the cam chain from going through. you can lift the cam chain through on either the front of the cylinder or rear BUT when you try to fish it through the middle it doesnt fit. thats why i say that if you could break the chain youd have no problem..........but with the chain endless it isnt wide enough to fit the chain.........

that help?

#5 ·
no its in the casting of the slot. but you have the basic idea. there is a raised area on each side of the slot, for strength im guessing. these 2 raised areas prevent the cam chain from coming through. as i said.............. if you pull the entire cam chain up through the slot on one side no problem............ but say you hook the chain on the exhaust cam...... now you try and pull the chain up through the slot as you would to put the chain on the intake cam. on this cylinder you cant do it...........the area is too narrow to let the chain slide through and enable you to reach the intake cam. it could be easily ground down but im not doing that until cylinder works says thats the fix.

#9 ·
That sucks. Man why can't they get this right ? :strokin:

Well to me, it looks like the cylinder bore is larger/ thicker... which is a good thing.

I'd grind off that embossed part on the out side of the chain area, but you'd think after all the hassles and R&D they have caused they would have at least made sure the chain fit.

Maybe they should pick another country to make their products :disgust:

#12 ·
QUOTE (Terse @ Mar 1 2009, 10:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=752433
That sucks. Man why can't they get this right ? :strokin:

Well to me, it looks like the cylinder bore is larger/ thicker... which is a good thing.

I'd grind off that embossed part on the out side of the chain area, but you'd think after all the hassles and R&D they have caused they would have at least made sure the chain fit.

Maybe they should pick another country to make their products :disgust:[/b]

I'm with Terse, I would grind out some of the casting that is toward the outer side of the case not the jug area. Once that chain clears I can't see any reason for probs with the chain.

What is the compression on that piston in that kit?

#14 ·
this is hasshanks's motor......... i agree that grinding a bit should not hurt things and i didnt post anything with the intent of pointing any fingers or saying there is an inferior product out there..................... i mostly wanted to know if anyone else out there has seen this. grinding will probably work but i want to hear from cylinder works to see if its just a flaw with a certain batch of cylinders or something more. if they tell me to grind it and will stand behind the product afterwards then fine by me.

#15 ·
could yah get us a pic of that piston?
both sides of it if yah could.

Keep us posted on what cylinder works says about it. I was on the verge of getting on to give it a try but I think now i'll wait and see.

#17 ·
i would call up cylinder works and ask them what the deal is. I had to call them about 3-4 time a week for 2 months cause there first set of cylinders cost me 2 motors and 2 trips to the dunes. i can get you the name and the number of the guy i talked with. maybe they know about the problem already but who knows if they are willing to do any thing about it. thats why i had to fight with them to replace my stuff. Thats when i decided i will never buy another cylinder from them again.

#19 ·
well cylinder works is wanting to see this cylinder so i gotta send it back. im having no problems dealing with them at all. they sent me a UPS return label too. they would send me a replacement cylinder so theres minimal down time but i guess the 98mm is a popular item and they are out at the moment. as things are going id do buisness with them again.

#22 ·
Nice pics. I wonder, who is using a stock chain and who has a aftermarket chain?? Or are they both stock chains?? Maybe there is a difference in width that would require you to run a stock chain only, until they can fix their design. Or aftermarket chain.

#23 ·
QUOTE (mudd4 @ Mar 2 2009, 04:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753047
Nice pics. I wonder, who is using a stock chain and who has a aftermarket chain?? Or are they both stock chains?? Maybe there is a difference in width that would require you to run a stock chain only, until they can fix their design. Or aftermarket chain.[/b]
I showed a stock 04 chain. It measures .325"(8.25mm) wide. There is plenty of room to slide it through.
I was told this on another site...
you have to modify the rear chain giude and get a new chain! because of the extra meat on that cylinder wont let the guide move freely[/b]
Anyone know if that would be true? My motor isnt apart right now to check.

#25 ·
update on cylinder......

cylinder works said it was definetly a defect and is sending another cylinder, no questions asked and no hassles. they covered all shipping. it was easy to get service on the phone and i never waited longer than an hour for a call back. good support so when i build my honda i will probably use their products.

#26 ·
QUOTE (kelcrist2 @ Mar 9 2009, 12:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755517
update on cylinder......

cylinder works said it was definetly a defect and is sending another cylinder, no questions asked and no hassles. they covered all shipping. it was easy to get service on the phone and i never waited longer than an hour for a call back. good support so when i build my honda i will probably use their products.[/b]
Cool, glad they hooked you up and took care of the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.