YFZ Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, im going to start racing next season and i will not have money for a pipe because im buying a front end soon and ill be running spacers in the rear for awhile until i get money. Anyway, you guys think a stock cut silencer would give the yfz more grunt and low end? I might buy somones stock one to try it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
im confused..correct me if im wrong..but you say you dont have enough money for an exhaust..and in your signature it says you have a tc exhaust?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Here's my thoughts:

In theory, an aftermarket exhaust system (whether it be slip-on or full), is a straight pipe with packing in the silencer. I mean, look at the silencer for a sparks pipe, it's just a big hole all the way through. Granted they're all tuned slightly different, but the concept is the same.

I did this with my Z400 and it worked beautifully. I cut the silencer on both ends, then took all the guts out, got some wire mesh (get some strong mesh). Take the wire mesh and form a cylinder out of it. Then buy some 4-stroke packing from your local dealer and wrap it around the mesh. Shove the packing and cylinder into the shortened silencer.

I can't guarantee the results you'll have with a YFZ, but for the Z400 it gave me a ton of low-end torque. It gave me atleast as much as I have with my full Sparks pipe now. You will most likely need to re-jet (as I did). Be prepared to give up a little bit of top-end though. As I see it, it was worth it, because I don't ever see 5th gear on an MX track.

Also: If you do this, make sure you have a way to repack your exhaust, I made this mistake when I made mine. I also used thin wire for the mesh, and it crumbled up and all the packing came out. When I needed to repack, I couldn't do it effectively, so I bought an exhaust. I'll be fixing the stock modded one when I get a chance though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I PMed you to tell you it works. Again, today......409 Banshee flat drag sand run..............no contest. Or cut the sucker in half before the inside plate and weld on the cap to that........instant shorty. :disgust

1 - 6 of 6 Posts