YFZ Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to build a custom swingarm in my shop at school i was wondering what type of metal to use. I was thinking round stock alluminum but it could bend easy. I am going to use it for silver lake sand dunes in michigan and i have a track with a 62 foot table top that shoots me about 15-20 feet in the air. That should give you an idea of what type of metal to use. I need it to be lightweight.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Titanium!!! :shocker:

Sorry, I had to throw that out there. We built aluminum (round stock) ones but they're used on the ice only, no jumping.

Chromoly would probably be best.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yeah, for jumping you'd want steel (chromoly is best). To make is with aluminum, your going to have to put double to 3 times the amount of material to make it strong enough, equaling out to about the same weight as a chromoly one. My old z400 aluminum swingarm and my yfz lonestar swingarm weigh about the same. The only reason the stock YFZ swinger is so strong is because it's cast aluminum. Also there was a lot of time put into the design to make it as strong as possible.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ok, stronger. How's that. I've cracked one too, but it was a really nasty wreck. For the weight of the swingarm it is surprising stong.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
orgeons finest hit the nail on the head with the 4130 chromoly steel. tig welded up all nice should be killer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts