YFZ Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was racing on the ice around the oval, battling with some dirtbikes and slid out and the thing cat-a-poulted me off and flipped over once and landed on its side! It sucked. My bars are trash and my stem is twisted a little. At least I think it is. I put it straight at the top and the wheels are slightly turnned. I took the stem out and its straight. The splines are straight and everything looks good. I think the whole stem itself just twisted slightly. What is the best way to straighten the thing. Its a lenghtened anti-vibe setup. Should I put it back on the quad to try and straighten, or should I throw it in a vice or something.

Otherwise I might just adjust my tie-rods to get it straight again. Its not off by much and I think I might stress the thing more if I try to twist it again to get it straight. Hopefully it will all work out.
Has anyone ever just twisted one before? The thing itself is dead straight!

Is it possible to bend that plate that the bottom that the tie-rods attach to?

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
i would either adjust the tie rods, or just get a new stem, i know thats not what you want to hear, but it would probably be the best bet, if it did twist, there is no way to tell if it has been weakened.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Iv bent mine back a few times....... just takes 2 people turn the bike till its locked and have one person pull and the other push..... most people will tell you this makes it weak yada yada but I race on a budget and a new stem every time I crash aint in my budget. I think if you bend it more than 3 times and straighten it then replace it but you can get away with it.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You might be able to bent it back? I would adjust the tie-rods or get a neww one.

Nice new avatat leveldrummer!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I adjusted the tie rods and it works, but if I have the quad jacked up (suspension all the way relaxed) and turn all the way to the right the tie rod hits the shock. I think its because before I ground a little off the pitman bracket so I could steer further! It worked great til now :icon_neutral: I JB welded a piece of metal back on there to correct. It should be fine. I am going to wait til the next crash to replace the stem. Those splines on the stem should be straight right. It almost appears that they have a slight angle on them, which is the prob I am guessing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts