YFZ Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can help me out with this. I'm new to this forum, so take it easy on me. I'm having problems with my machine not cranking over fast enough to start it. This problem has been plagueing me for several months And I don't know where to go next. It is not so bad when it's cold, but after running for some time, it seems as though something internal tightens up and will not allow the starter to spin over fast enough. My valves are in spec, I'm running stock bore Wiesco 12:1, 2006+ crank (I have a 2004) and i have recently put a 2008 starter on it. I have an oversize battery. The only other motor mods i have are a +8 oz. flywheel and a Rekluse z-start. Thank you to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Yuasu. I think it's a YTZ-10. (Not sure if those are the right letters, but it is the same battery that comes factory in many Honda roadbikes including my CBR954.) It was new and the manufacture date was July of '08 if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Not enough charge?

·
Registered
43 Posts
is ur cam chain too tight, that happened to me, also timing, make sure the mark on the flywheel is on the mark on the case

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Do you push the choke back in?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have full charge. I'm not sure about cam chain being too tight. I did just replace it. I always push the choke back in. I just got through freshing up the top end, so i know nothing is going on there. Cam timing is good, but I have a Trail Tech flywheel, so I no longer have a timing mark. But with piston at TDC I set the marks.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Cam chain slack needs to be towards the tensioner side

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
does the motor make a growling or grinding noise when it is trying to turn over fast enough to start?? I have seen a few one way starter bearings go bad and one simptom is slow turn over for starting.

FYI

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary when the starter motor is turning. I don't think the one-way bearing is slipping. I've heard a Craptor 660 with the bearing going out. Not pretty. I appreciate everyones replies. I have been checking everything that everyone recommends. i need to get this worked out. First race coming this weekend!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the delay. I don't believe it's the Rekluse. It doesn't matter if it's in nuetral or in gear. The clutch works fine and i really don't think it's that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
you said it turns over fine when its cold but wont turn over when its warm, pull off the crankshaft cover cap and spin it over by hand both when its warm and when its cold. see if you can feel the difference in the motor actually spining over so you can figure out where to start. if your starter is having issues spinning the motor then you should be able to feel it in the hand as well. if you cant feel it then it will probably be an issue in between the crank and starter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts