YFZ Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been running without the crankcase ventilation system (hoses and bottle)? If you're unsure what I'm talking about, it's the big black hose with the spring around it that runs from the crankcase to a little black container, then connects to the airbox via another black hose.

The theory behind this is that the gases created within the crankcase are directed back into the airbox and then sucked into the engine.

Most of us are running without airbox lids. These gasses mostly just escape into mid air.

.brit

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've looked @ mine, but have yet to decide what to do w/ it. As is always the case, I'll look @ my dirtbike and see what it's got and do some testing.

K&N makes a tiny little filter that would fit, but I wouldn't trust it to last with the exposure to bumps/jumps/etc.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by selector@Nov 18 2003, 07:09 AM
I've looked @ mine, but have yet to decide what to do w/ it. As is always the case, I'll look @ my dirtbike and see what it's got and do some testing.

K&N makes a tiny little filter that would fit, but I wouldn't trust it to last with the exposure to bumps/jumps/etc.
Yeah, mine's still on, also.

I subscribe to the whole less = more philosophy. I stripped down my Laeger Pro Trax last night to put it on eBay and it only took about two hours. By the time I got all of the hoses/clamps/bla bla bla off of the YFZ, it would take me a week to strip that thing down. I really need to eliminate some of the OEM extras on this thing.

.brit

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's just an emmisions thing. I know alot of motors have this. I don't see why you couldn't take it off and adapt a filter of some kind. I've taken my hose off a coupld of times while working on the carb and a little oil has come out but not much. I'd definitely be careful when washing it though. Wouldn't want any water to get in the crankcase :nono . Brit, you do anything at work except surf man? Heck, I'm still in my Superman underoos myself. :O Now there's a scary thought! See ya man.

Fred J.

·
Registered
983 Posts
k&N makes a small filter used for Rc Model Cars that would probably fit on there. I wouldnt however. you go through a stream crossing over the pegs and your screwed.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I have one of those little filters on the hose cause I took the airbox off.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Here it is on the engine I put it here first but I think it looks kinda corny

Attachments

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by cjpoole1@Nov 18 2003, 11:37 AM
I think someone stole half your engine!!! :lol
Yeah I have the top off installing a JE 13.5:1 piston; I thought. :angry

But when I received it yesterday (from Vitos) it is a Wiseco 13.5:1 piston for the YZ450F :nono , so I am in the process of trying to get the right piston to get it installed before next Tuesday, so I can make it to Dumont.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I have seen some racers remove the black box. then they route a hose from the crankcase up to the hose coming from the valve cover (use a y connector to connect the two together) they then route the hose down in front of the oil tank and let the overflow (if any) spill on the ground.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump+Nov 18 2003, 10:45 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pahrump @ Nov 18 2003, 10:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--cjpoole1@Nov 18 2003, 11:37 AM

But when I received it yesterday (from Vitos) it is a Wiseco 13.5:1 piston for the YZ450F :nono , so I am in the process of trying to get the right piston to get it installed before next Tuesday, so I can make it to Dumont. [/b][/quote]
Hey Pahrump,
U think u can do a step by step with a couple of pics on how to change the piston. I wanna do that within the month of December, and i dont want a dealer to do it for me. Everything on this quad im doing myself. I just wanna lear. So it would be real helpful if u can take pics along the way. Juast a thought tho :lol ...thanx

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by gnc_118@Nov 18 2003, 11:05 AM
I have seen some racers remove the black box. then they route a hose from the crankcase up to the hose coming from the valve cover (use a y connector to connect the two together) they then route the hose down in front of the oil tank and let the overflow (if any) spill on the ground.
That's the ticket.

.brit

·
Registered
68 Posts
well brit :sup the crankcase vent can be removed, run back up topthen back downfor runoff, gnc118 is correct just make sure its a vent ,dont just run it up straght to the head.

next thing that you want to remove is the oil tank, i dont know if anyone elese has done it yet but all u have to do is oder a dr. d block off kit for a yz450, u can get this from white brothers, works great, just change your oil every HOUR, the next trick that i have not seen yet on here everyone using kill switches for there elec. start if u want somthing trick order a drz400 starter button, its waterproof, & made for starting, i can get u a wiring diagram,before i take all that off 2, but right now im just 2 lazy to kick!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by yogi@Nov 18 2003, 07:05 PM
well brit :sup the crankcase vent can be removed, run back up topthen back downfor runoff, gnc118 is correct just make sure its a vent ,dont just run it up straght to the head.

next thing that you want to remove is the oil tank, i dont know if anyone elese has done it yet but all u have to do is oder a dr. d block off kit for a yz450, u can get this from white brothers, works great, just change your oil every HOUR, the next trick that i have not seen yet on here everyone using kill switches for there elec. start if u want somthing trick order a drz400 starter button, its waterproof, & made for starting, i can get u a wiring diagram,before i take all that off 2, but right now im just 2 lazy to kick!
thanks for the info.

i'm definitely going to remove the bottle.

.brit

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I believe that back bottle is required for EPA compliance. It has charcoal or some other material in it to absorb harmful stuff. I had it in my hand not too long ago and it feels light as a feather and is definitely more trick than a gauze filter.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Next thing that you want to remove is the oil tank, i dont know if anyone elese has done it yet but all u have to do is oder a dr. d block off kit for a yz450,
Here's some info on dry vs. wet sump systems: (the YFZ has a dry sump system)

"In a nutshell, the difference between a wet sump system and a dry sump system is where the oil is stored. In a wet sump system the oil is stored in the engine cases. The oil is pumped thru your engine using an internal oil pump. A dry sump system stores the oil in the frame. The oil is scavenged or sucked out of the cases. This oil goes through a multistage dry sump pump and is then sent to the frame. It is then pulled back through the pump and pumped back into the engine. Along the way it passes through a series of filters. (Still awake?) Dry sump systems are more complicated and costly than wet sumps. Used in higher levels of racing. The average dry sump set-up has the ability to scavenge 2 to 4 times the volume that it pumps into the engine. This causes negative crankcase pressure, which gives you horsepower. Dry sump systems also offer a more stable supply of oil in all conditions since there isn't a rapidly spinning crankshaft located right in the oil. In a nut shell a dry sump cost more but works better. Big nutshell. Excess oil around the crankshaft in a wet sump can get on the shaft and cut horsepower. Some people claim improvements of as much as 10% horsepower by switching to a dry sump. The primary advantage of a Dry Sump System is its ability to make more power. With very little oil in the cases,rotating assembly is not burdened with the weight of excess oil (a phenomenon commonly referred to as "windage'). Keeping the rotating assembly free of windage allows it to spin freely and make more power. In addition, the extra crankcase vacuum created by the dry sump pump helps to improve ring seal for additional power gain.
Aso a wet sump keeps all the oil in the cases and that adds to the windage and takes up HP... Adavntage of a wet sump is that it is light and cheap.

Dry sump...adds vacuum... cuts down windage as all the oil is in the frame... has lot of misc. parts that need to be added and maintained like hoses, tanks, fittings, etc...... Hope this helps"

I copied it from another website.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by YFZdream450+Nov 18 2003, 01:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YFZdream450 @ Nov 18 2003, 01:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2003, 10:45 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--cjpoole1
@Nov 18 2003, 11:37 AM

But when I received it yesterday (from Vitos) it is a Wiseco 13.5:1 piston for the YZ450F :nono , so I am in the process of trying to get the right piston to get it installed before next Tuesday, so I can make it to Dumont.
Hey Pahrump,
U think u can do a step by step with a couple of pics on how to change the piston. I wanna do that within the month of December, and i dont want a dealer to do it for me. Everything on this quad im doing myself. I just wanna lear. So it would be real helpful if u can take pics along the way. Juast a thought tho :lol ...thanx [/b][/quote]
I would have but I did not see that you had replied and requested this. Sorry :cry

Its pretty easy thought probably took me 1 hour to tear it down and about 1 hour to put it back together, my problem was trying to get that 1 hour of time, it either cam at 10PM or 5 AM

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask either with a post, PM, or email.

Later Scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts