YFZ Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pushing in my tranny bearing today on my 06 yfz450 case half when it cracked. It's only on one side for the bigger crack and is through on the other one. I'm thinking jb weld or quick steel would work? I don't care about aesthetics it's going to be under the sprocket anyway. The bearing would still be held in using the bearing retainers as well so the press fit being off a little isn't an issue Auto part Metal Engine

What do you guys think of this solution? I would put in the jb using the heating method (heat the case in the oven, put on the jb weld, continue heating for a little longer to let it sink into the cracks)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I wouldn't use that case without welding it. The JB Weld won't really do anything for structural rigidity, I don't think. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't use it. I'd put the old bearing in, and then have the crack welded. The welding wouldn't take long, it should be able to be fusion welded, and shouldn't require filler. The only real sketchy part is that it's cast aluminum and it's been painted. Cast stuff is dirty and porous anyway, so welding it can be tricky. If it were me, I would weld it. If you don't have access to a welder, you could take it to a reputable shop. Where are you located? If you're anywhere near Missouri, there's a welding shop called OutBack Welding. I've seen their work and am impressed. I think they would be able to help you out, and it probably wouldn't cost you very much. The shipping would probably be almost as much as (if not more than) the repair. Like I said, that crack would make me nervous. I wouldn't use JB Weld. Just my opinion. It's worth what it cost-- nothing.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
You need a new case. I'm a ticketed welder that specialized in aluminum for some time. Standard81 is right about the cast aluminum dirty thing ect. But a crack needs to be welded on one side then the crack that's left be completely ground out and welded from the other side. So the inside will need maching too. Otherwise the crack will just come back. Welding something that big will warp the case and everything may not even fit or if it does fit it may leak. I cracked a case years ago near where the clutch shaft comes in from a thrown chain. Mine leaked like a sieve from the case pulling. Ended up with new cases when I did my rebuild later in the year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.