YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05' that runs just fine, and actually won the last GP race in november. Decided to put it through a check up, main bearings, crank and wrist pin bearings, transmission bearings or whatever. The shop calls today and tells me $3000, and fell off my chair. I mean how can a good running motor cost that much to rebuild. I told him to put it back together and I would buy another motor for less than that.
Will a 05' frame hold any year motor with the exception of the 09'. If it will where is a good place to find and buy a rebuilt or low hour motor, and Bone stock is just fine with me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is telling me " Evrything " is bad. Crank, Rod, Piston, Cylinder, Cams, Cam towers, Head, Valves, Springs,
Oil Pump, Tranny Gears and Bearings, Shifting fork, Water Pump (Impeller). Now you tell how the [email protected]#! this motor could have won an AMA D-11 Grand Prix, in Nov. I aint rode 3 hours on it since.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My buddy and I are rebuilding his motor right now and it looks like its going to cost about $1000 with us doing the labor. But we are replacing the jug, upgrading to high compression piston an rings, crank bearings, cam chain and guides, and a few other things. If all your machine needs is bearings then there's no way someone should charge 3000 to rebuild it, the crank bearings only cost $60. If all you have to do is replace the bearings, and you have a little mechanical knowledge, get a factory service manual and put it back together yourself, you really don't need many tools, its not beyond anyone if your pay close attention to what your doing. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry I posted above and didn't see your post before. I think this guy is pulling your chain. I don't see all of that stuff going bad at one time, but if it did it would cost 3 grand to buy all those parts.

·
Registered
837 Posts
hell ya go somewhere else! he is probably work hungry with the way the economy is. even if you bought brand new everything it wouldnt cost that much. and how do the tranny gears go bad? HUH?! haha tell him to shove it in his asz do it yourself.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It costed me $3000.00 to get my national motor done. But I didn't have to replace all those parts you listed. That guy you sent it to must of had his head to far up his a#* when he told you that.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
If you shop around for the parts yourself you could save a ton of money. I had to replace crank, main bearings, piston, rings, pin, and all necessary gaskets and lock washers along with honing my cylinder all for under $340.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you look around, you can find most of those parts at reasonable prices. I have recently purchased:
Brand new OEM cylinder: $210
New OEM crank: $230
Crank bearings: $55
Stock compression piston kit: $140
I talked to a seasoned Yamaha mechanic and he said 450 gearsets are very durable. Rarely do they give problems, especially with near stock engine.

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
buy a manual, and dig into yourself, it might seem like a big task, but you will save sooooo much money by learning a little bit about the bike, and if something goes crazy while your at a race, you have better knowledge to fix it,

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
its about 2000 to rebuild mine. Thats just piston, crank, hone cylinder, cam chain, oil pump, and coolant impellar i believe.
about 4000 with labour! :shocker:

and canadian too! :mhihi:

·
Registered
7 Posts
well it cost me about 900 thats with my labor. only piston, crank,all bearing,complete gasket set, and case spilter and fly wheel puller.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
QUOTE (t_wheat @ Feb 17 2009, 09:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747757
No kidding. Must have been a super duper gold plated motor. I sure hope its fast.[/b]
i havent rebuilt yet, and hopefully not soon. But thats what my dealer quoted me, a rough estimate.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
QUOTE (Sidewinder @ Feb 17 2009, 10:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747780
Word of advise, don't ever take that offer. :shocker: :icon_bolt:[/b]
no lol

i can buy the parts and get one of my buddys to put it together, he knows his chit

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
QUOTE (Sidewinder @ Feb 17 2009, 10:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747794
Another year on this site and you should be able to do it yourself![/b]
i probly could do it right now but i dont feel like experimenting on my perfectly good motor lol

and this site has helped me with LOTS of stuff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts