YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 45 hours now on my stock motor/exhaust YFZ and today during riding I noticed a small amount of anti-freeze on the engine skid plate..

Did some close checking and found that there is a hole right below the water pump on the case of the engine.. This is where the anti-freeze is coming out of.

The hole is about 1/16 inch diameter and appears to be cast in the case right from the factory.

Does anyone know what could be causing anti-freeze to come out of this hole? I'm stumped on this one.

Would like to be armed with a bit of knowledge before I visit the dealer on Monday.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That is a weep hole. If you have coolant coming from there, it is because your water pump seal is bad.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some checking in the shop manual and owners manual.

In the owners manual it indicates that you remove the bottom bolt of the cap that goes over the water pump to drain the anti-freeze from the system.

Is this hole cast in the case the drain hole and could the seal inside on the drain plug just be leaking?

Has anyone removed the water pump from their YFZ yet or drained the coolant that might know???

Dill,, no reply on the other site that I can locate..appreciate your insight here..thanks

anyone else know anything about this???

·
Registered
94 Posts
mine is doing the same thing, a very tiny amount when its sits for a few days, There was about a teaspoon size amount on my skid,I couldnt find the leak..but thats the same location as your leak.Hmmmm....could be a problem.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check the small weep hole in the case under the water pump when the engine is running..Mine has a slight mist/pressure while running..

I'll be taking it to the dealer tonight and they will be pulling it apart tomorrow morning to determine if it is the o ring or water pump bearing/seal..

Yamaha hopefully will have the part in stock so I don't have to warm up someones ear in Yamaha corporate customer service about waiting for back ordered parts.

I'll provide feedback in a few days. BTW, mine is still completely stock at about 45 hours of hard ride time.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer has progressed with the repair however they've encountered a huge snag in completing it

First they need to replace both seals on the impeller shaft. These seals keep the coolant out of the shaft bearing and the case of the engine. One of the seals ( Inner seal) is available through the regional distribution center. The other seal (outter seal Yamaha part # 93102-11004-00) is on backorder at every distribution center through out the USA. I've contacted corporate Yamaha direct and am having their inventory expert do a search to locate one and have it Fed Exed in. So far no word on locating one.

Evidently this seal may be a potential weak point on the motor, so if you are a racer, dealer or work for one you may want to order a few of these.

ALSO IF YOU KNOW OF ANY DEALER or RACE TEAM THAT HAS THIS SEAL IN STOCK PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECTLY ASAP [email protected]

It would be my assumption that this should be the same seal used in the 450 YZF and WR 450.

HELP!
:bawl

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE

Well corporate Yamaha came through with flying colors.. I received a call yesterday from Milissa (customer service) that their inventory expert had located a seal and was sending it UPS red label for delivery this morning directly to my dealer, all free of charge.

This type of action is outstanding. I applaud Yamaha for their efforts and follow through on getting me out of this parts bind.

I assume this particular seal may be a weak point in the new 450 YFZ engine. The part number is different than the 450 dirt bike engine. I also speculate that Yamaha knows this and is in the midst of improving and superceding this part for production. just my guess....

If you ride alot of hours, you may want to get your hands on this seal so your not staring at your new 450 while waiting for a $2 part.

Dealer should have it together later today.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE

Well I found out the dealers mechanic is lacking alot of skill..

After hoop jumping every avenue to get the back ordered seal to him, and having it installed,, I find out that its still leaking coolant.

He tells me that the water pump shaft is worn and has grooves so the new seal is not sealing properly. WHY DID HE NOT KNOW THIS WHEN HE TOOK IT APART AND DETERMINED WHAT PARTS IT NEEDED !!!!

I got back on the phone with corporate Yamaha and now have the water pump shaft, shaft bearing and new seal coming first thing next week..

Need less to say I am very ticked... I tried every dealer in my area and some on the west coast to see if I could find the shaft and bearing so I could just fix it myself but to no avail.

At the very least corporate Yamaha is doing everything possible to get me the parts that are extremely difficult to find right now.

·
Registered
921 Posts
hay mine is at shop as we speak an the said it would need new seals an such, mine only has like 20hours on it an it leaks pretty good when it gets warm, how do u get ahold of yamaha for the parts u are talkin about, i dont want it sitting for weeks, thanks :yfz

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yamaha customer service

1(800) 962 -7926 Good luck getting thru

(714) 761-7435 Your dime and much more efficient

Write these numbers down in your owners manual or shop manual...

I spoke to Milissa Buccanon who helped me tremendously in getting the needed parts sent to my dealer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had two different guys come up to me at the dunes asking why their new 450s were leaking coolant.

Looks like Yamahammer has a problem Houston!

·
Registered
921 Posts
yamaha sucks they say that the seal is on back order an no eta what the helll they suckk, 2 weeks still waiting , does anyone no where i can get the seal????

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by FAST1@Oct 3 2003, 09:14 AM
yamaha customer service

1(800) 962 -7926 Good luck getting thru

(714) 761-7435 Your dime and much more efficient

Write these numbers down in your owners manual or shop manual...

I spoke to Milissa Buccanon who helped me tremendously in getting the needed parts sent to my dealer.
call this number to get a replacement seals

·
Registered
77 Posts
Originally posted by Dill@Sep 20 2003, 11:21 PM
hey FAST1..I left you a reply about this on the other site..anyways let us know how the dealer handles this, I'm curious being I bought my YFZ from the same dealer...
is there another YFZ site???

·
Registered
921 Posts
u know what im just ganna say friggit an ride it harddddd. put it away wet!! if it blows still got 4 months on warnty. yes i tryed them numbers but they say it on back order la la la... :angry :yfz :yfz

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you dealer will need to file the problem with Yamaha as a warranty claim before you'll get a seal. If you haven't done that, they are not going to send you one since they are in very short supply or backordered as a general purchase item.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts