YFZ Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best gear i can get to ride in the cold?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I guess that depend upon what "cold" is. Over T-day weekend (low 30's at it's coldest) I rode w/ jeans, long-sleeved t-shirt and fleece jacket w/ shop coveralls on top and I was fine. My hands were a bit cold, but that's because I wore regular MX gloves. My skiing gloves would have solved that.

·
Registered
983 Posts
i just bought some moose expedotion gear. lkeeps the wind and wet out. also have a moose monarch long sleeve shirt. nice and warm.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
For 30-50 degree temps I wear thermals top and bottom, then just put my shift pants and top on over that. Good thick pair of MX socks under my boots and my MX gloves. Brain bucket and goggles and I am good to go.

If its below 30 or so I will just stay by the camp fire getting loaded :lol

·
Registered
180 Posts
19 degrees. Brrrrr! Shift squadron's( thermals underneath) . Layers for the torso with wind proof shell. Lobster gloves at first than I switch to Mx style glove after I break a sweat.(or warm your hands on the pipe...careful, don't melt your gloves) Balcalva inside the helmet. Enduro or Snow cross goggles!

I ride in sub 20 degree all the time...start with a pre-ride warm beverage (coffee, cap, hot chocky etc...) That will get you off...once you break a sweat from stompin every Z-400,kfx and 400ex... you'll be good to go! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
:D
well, I ride till she's about 20 below, but I prefer 20 above. just wear my old snowmobile bibs and coat. put a face mask under helmet and gogles, with some good winter gloves and boots, and your good to go. last year I briefly put my gloves on my raptor's pipe to warm and melted them, some 20 miles down river from home. :uhoh not cool!-FREEZING! I also have a ol honda 250x with a supertrapp pipe-no heat shield, and melted my snow pants. It took me about 45 seconds to figure out what that funky smell was coming from the engine area. the YFZ might also be a pant burner too, so be careful.
when it's real cold and windee, or prolonged high speeds, wind proof clothing a must. I have worn A* tech 8s down to zero and they worked fine till you stand around on the ice and snow for a while. once they get cold, they are hard to get warmed back up. Castle racing makes some snowcross pants that look like insulated riding pants that I would like to try. it's tuff to think of spending $100+ for pants and then melt a big hole in them :angry I have some tanned leather that I might try wraping around my leg by the pipe to see if that stops the melting on my ruined snowpants.
I haven't gottin after my YFZ in full, cold riding gear for any hot pant leg experiances, but this weekend seems to be very fit. -20 and 14+ inches of snow, and groomed snowmobile trails!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts