YFZ Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have the problem that a yfz won't start in cold weather. i pull the choke and it cranks and cranks and cranks. won't start about 30 degress out . i wanted to play in the snow but couldn't oh well. it gets about 40 -45 it starts rights up. any one have the same problem?? and what should i do i just made my 2nd payment

·
Registered
295 Posts
RE-Jet

That will solve your problem. I was riding mine last week and it was 10 degrees out, it started right up. Good luck...

Maxx

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by Maxx_Action@Dec 24 2003, 04:51 AM
RE-Jet

That will solve your problem. I was riding mine last week and it was 10 degrees out, it started right up. Good luck...

Maxx
Ya gotta re jet.
OK, so it's only 45F here. My stock YFZ didn't want to start, the rejetted/Yoshi'd YFZ (45P X165M) lit right off, idled like it owned the night, and ran like a champ.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ride in below 20 degree weather and also had a hard time starting. Then I did the following:

1. Switched to a 48 pilot
2. 1 1/2 turns out on the air screw
3. YZF needle 5th position from top
4. 182 main
5. new plug
I pull the choke out all the way and hit the start...DO NOT pump the throttle at all when starting. As soon as it starts I push the choke in 1/2 way. Make sure you idle speed is up high enough. Good Luck! ;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
happened to me too,,, i'm gonna wait to rejet so i do everything all at once, (all motor mods) its better to do all at once right?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think i may wait til spring so i will rejet then. i have a full system gytr exhaust and a pro design air filter system. i live in ohio any idea's what jets i need?? any help on tearing my carb apart a million times will help thanx

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
There is no need to wait at all to jet. Its not a big deal and you don't have to "Tear the carb apart".

Anyhow jetting will be different for the summer to the winter months because of the different density of the air.

Buy yourself a 45 pilot (48 if you want) a 168 main, and a NCVQ (stock YZ) needle, put it on the 4th clip.

Install those in about 20 minutes or so for your first time.

Those jets will be pretty dang close for all weather and elevations with the baffle out, lid off, and even cam mod if you do it.

Jetting is not hard and will really make the bike run different.

BTW you don't even have to take the carb off to change the jets just loosen the clamps nand twist it. You will however have to take the right side radiator shroud off.

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts