YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I heard about this from some friends and then I saw a picture of it. Its a tie rod (or link) that goes from the frame back to the brake stay plate. And Ive heard a couple different things about it now. One being, it helps prevent the swingarm from twisting. And the other being that it helps for cornering.

My take on it is that it helps for cornering because when the rear brake is applied the swing-arm moves up and the brake caliper would then move backwards which would make the swingarm/shock move/compress even faster.

I drew it up on a 3D modeling program to prove my theory right. And it would do that.

Anyone else hear any rumors or talk to Walsh about it?

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (quadracer2 @ Feb 24 2009, 01:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750268
My take on it is that it helps for cornering because when the rear brake is applied the swing-arm moves up and the brake caliper would then move backwards which would make the swingarm/shock move/compress even faster.[/b]
I've heard this same thing.

The way I heard it, when the rear brake is applied the rear end compresses (like you said) and it will make the rear end "squat" in turns like the front end does when you're on the front brakes in a turn. So this way, the entire quad "squats" and is lower to the ground so it should handle better. I also heard that the rear end working this way makes it so that tapping the rear brake to get the front end down over jumps works even better.

But I didn't hear any of that from Walsh. I don't know if they'd even tell you if you asked. On all of the "For Sale" adds I've seen where they're selling Cody Gibson's quads, it says "Limited Edition Walsh suspension **Not available to the public** "

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I saw that too. But I wasnt sure if it was because the swingarm itself is totally different or because underneath all that powdercoat theres probably Titanium. :shocker:

Either way its pretty cool stuff.

Im gonna build one and see how it works. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
95 Posts
zeb beards design. he has a screen name on here as protrxrptr17 you can look up his topics on atvriders and it is some of his raptor/ktm that has the floating brake on it back from like 04. the brake design works awesome. it takes pressure off of the back tires so the you can turn the bike with the brake without it slowing you down too much. also works wonders for brake checks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea Walsh stuff is high dollar stuff already.(because its top notch) Id prolly start crying when I saw my bill for Titanium stuff :bawling: :shocker:

And thats sweet that other people have tried it.

But on the 04'........He must have a round carrier in it otherwise im not sure how it would work with the stock 04-05 carrier system.

·
Registered
95 Posts
QUOTE (quadracer2 @ Feb 24 2009, 09:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750304
Yea Walsh stuff is high dollar stuff already.(because its top notch) Id prolly start crying when I saw my bill for Titanium stuff :bawling: :shocker:

And thats sweet that other people have tried it.

But on the 04'........He must have a round carrier in it otherwise im not sure how it would work with the stock 04-05 carrier system.[/b]
zebs was build from a custom built 250r swingarm that would fit a ktm 525 motor and a raptor frame

·
Registered
736 Posts
Titanium is awsome but $$$$$! I just bought a piece 1" x 2" x 60" long and paid $1000.00 for it. Its insanely expensive!

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
QUOTE (82SOCOM @ Feb 24 2009, 12:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750420
Titanium is awsome but $$$$$! I just bought a piece 1" x 2" x 60" long and paid $1000.00 for it. Its insanely expensive![/b]

:shocker: Damn what are you gonna do with that Mike, hang it up on the wall on top of the TV :icon_eek:

I agree, this is why Walsh are IMO at the very top in R&D in suspension components. I'm sure it won't be long untl they offer this set-up to the public.

That's a trick set-up that Cody was running last year, I'm sure it took a good bit to get used accomidating that feature with your riding style and abilities.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:shocker: $1000.00 whoa man thats nuts. What did you use it for?

And yes I also think Walsh is Top Notch when it comes to R&D suspension components. Laeger used to be back in the good ol' days.

Even with the Fourtrax chassis that Walsh made with the adjustable top shock mount was cool.

I wish other companies would deviate a little from the norm sometimes.

But Im not gonna wait for Walsh to release it im gonna build my own and do some R&D testing myself. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
736 Posts
QUOTE (CADWELL @ Feb 24 2009, 03:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750436
:shocker: Damn what are you gonna do with that Mike, hang it up on the wall on top of the TV :icon_eek:

I agree, this is why Walsh are IMO at the very top in R&D in suspension components. I'm sure it won't be long untl they offer this set-up to the public.

That's a trick set-up that Cody was running last year, I'm sure it took a good bit to get used accomidating that feature with your riding style and abilities.[/b]

Medical parts. I would like to make me some wheeler parts out of it though!

·
Registered
49 Posts

Man, I should have kept my big mouth shut and marketed this myself. Walsh got the idea from me. :icon_cry:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Medical Parts? Pshhh I would definatly be making quad parts instead :icon_biggrin:

That awesome man. Good design.

And yea I guess thats how it goes if you dont throw a patent on it right away some other guy will take it out right from under ya.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (quadracer2 @ Feb 24 2009, 02:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750439
And yes I also think Walsh is Top Notch when it comes to R&D suspension components. Laeger used to be back in the good ol' days.

Even with the Fourtrax chassis that Walsh made with the adjustable top shock mount was cool.[/b]
Yeah, when Mark Laeger still owned/ran Laeger's they were really top notch too.

You are also right about Walsh's 250R/hybrid chassis. It is one of the most well thought out, developed, tested, practical, good performing things that has ever been in quad racing. Their hybrid chassis is amazing at how well thought out and built it is. You can adjust the front ride height without touching the shocks, the rear shock is a little off center so that a better intake/airbox set up can be used, the plastic mounts in a way that you can take EVERY BIT of the plastic off in about 2 minutes with ZERO tools..........they are just awesome. That's why I want another hybrid, I want a Walsh/YZ. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea thats what I loved about the Laeger or Walsh 250r/hybrids. Soooo simple but yet soo well thought out. I had a friend that just got rid of his Walsh/EP/PEP 265r one of the sweetest machines ive ever ridden. And my brother had a Laeger/PEP/ESR 330r that was also insane and way easy to work on. The fliptop subframe, Narrow front frame rails with a pro-trax was awesome.

I think Walsh is on top of the Market because he has experience in Race Car fabrication...And there is some pretty trick stuff in Race Cars.

I still wish Mark and Susie still owned Laeger. IMO the people that run it now kinda ran that company into the ground and now im not sure if they're even around anymore. I run Laeger components on my machine, and they work great. I just think they tried to do too many different things...They should have just stuck to the basics of building quality Chassis components. And in my opinion they would still be on top, and there would'nt be rumors flying about if there still open or not.

Anyway, enough ranting........But yeah Im definitly with you on wanting a Hybrid/250r

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (quadracer2 @ Feb 24 2009, 11:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750685
I think Walsh is on top of the Market because he has experience in Race Car fabrication...And there is some pretty trick stuff in Race Cars.

I still wish Mark and Susie still owned Laeger. IMO the people that run it now kinda ran that company into the ground and now im not sure if they're even around anymore. I run Laeger components on my machine, and they work great. I just think they tried to do too many different things...They should have just stuck to the basics of building quality Chassis components. And in my opinion they would still be on top, and there would'nt be rumors flying about if there still open or not.

Anyway, enough ranting........But yeah Im definitly with you on wanting a Hybrid/250r[/b]
Another thing that I think really helps Walsh is that Mike and Nate both use to race at a very high level. Mike ran the Pro class for years, and Nate ran like A or Pro Am. So needless to say, they kinda understand what's going on and what works.

If I'm not mistaken, Mark Laeger had some trophy truck experience too. That's where the idea behind the Pro Traxx came from, trophy trucks. In fact, I've always heard that he got sued over it because someone felt it was copied from a trophy truck design.

·
Registered
328 Posts
QUOTE (gtilley45 @ Feb 25 2009, 08:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750720
Another thing that I think really helps Walsh is that Mike and Nate both use to race at a very high level. Mike ran the Pro class for years, and Nate ran like A or Pro Am. So needless to say, they kinda understand what's going on and what works.

If I'm not mistaken, Mark Laeger had some trophy truck experience too. That's where the idea behind the Pro Traxx came from, trophy trucks. In fact, I've always heard that he got sued over it because someone felt it was copied from a trophy truck design.[/b]

I believe the technology on the Pro-Trax came from INDY cars.

MARK LAEGER IS FROM MINNESOTA!

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (quadracer905 @ Feb 25 2009, 03:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750896
I believe the technology on the Pro-Trax came from INDY cars.

MARK LAEGER IS FROM MINNESOTA![/b]
That could be true. I just know the guy that told me the idea came from the trophy truck world has been around quad racing for a LLLOOONNNNGGGGG time and has MANY connections in the industry. He knows so many people and has been around so long, he can tell you a story about pretty much any subject you bring up. :mhihi:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts