YFZ Central banner

Clutch Slipping Or Something Else?

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  RoostItUp 
#1 ·
I've had this problem for quite sometime and it doesn't occur enough to annoy me or keep me from riding, but I have a feeling I should probably try to figure out what is going on. When I am in my upper gears (4 & 5) and really revving the engine either going up a hill or in a straight line the transmission will randomly downshift one gear. I have a habit of shifting somewhat quickly (using the clutch) so at first I was thinking that I am not quite getting it all the way into gear and it's just slipping back down, but I donno. Sometimes I can ride all day without it even happening. I have the stock clutch still in the bike, but it never acts up and works great other than this. It may help to know that I have replaced the stock gearshift with a billet direct connection one. This NEVER occurs riding trails or anything like that, just when really revving the engine out in a race setting. I was thinking it could be the shifting forks, but it's not getting worse. I'm really confused with this issue, any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
QUOTE (2fast4uracingxc @ Feb 17 2009, 03:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747560
bent shift forks,worn out gears or dogs on the gears[/b]
Interesting... so what would cause this to happen? The bike hasn't been abused what so ever and I take very good care of it. Is it something that I should have fixed as soon as possible or can it wait?

#5 ·
QUOTE (YFZ450 #69 @ Feb 17 2009, 06:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747671
theres a very good chance its just normal wear that has worn the edges off the dogs. if it doesnt get any worse you shouldnt have any problems[/b]

Ok, so that's somewhat good news. I'm horrible with transmissions, how much does a fix like this cost?

#10 ·
QUOTE (07YFZ450SE-R @ Feb 18 2009, 12:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747966
When was the last time the oil was changed?

My YZ250 would do that, I would change the oil and problem solved.[/b]

I change it every 6 months, sometimes more if I ride a lot. I had just changed it before I went out last time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.