YFZ Central banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I had an issue recently but I think I was abusing it and overheated. It seems to be fine now. I probably have like 20 hours on the bike total

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I have a ‘yfz450r, and I have heard the clutch randomly likes to grenade. So I’m trying to decide which aftermarket clutch to go with. Strictly ride the dunes. I do like to be in control of the clutch, so idk if I would like to go with a rekluse or similar? Direct drive clutches work okay or just for dragging?
Get a Hinson

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
That's pretty cool they're putting it all together for you to make life easier but I wonder what they're marking it up. I'm paying exactly $328.67 shipped from Partzilla and all items are in stock. I wish the BNR site had the price listed like most other sites and just showed "0" in stock.
Thanks for the heads up on that!
How's your clutch holding up? Is it the stock 2016 clutch?
Corona what was the individual prices on those parts

·
Registered
2017 YFZ 450R
13 Posts
Think that’s what I’ll do
You guys should keep in mind that if you go with an aftermarket basket like the one linked above, you'll still need a stock '09-'10 basket to get the primary gear off of. Don't get me wrong, an aftermarket basket such as the Hinson is a great upgrade, but you'll essentially need to buy two baskets to make it work.

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
33 Posts
You guys should keep in mind that if you go with an aftermarket basket like the one linked above, you'll still need a stock '09-'10 basket to get the primary gear off of. Don't get me wrong, an aftermarket basket such as the Hinson is a great upgrade, but you'll essentially need to buy two baskets to make it work.
Definitely NOT worth the money! I've already ordered the setup you sent me BaKilleen so I'll be ready to rip real soon. Did you end up having the bolts welded so they don't spin loose over time?

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
33 Posts
What bolts?
That's a solid question. I haven't received the new basket yet but when I do I will take the quad apart and try to figure out what people are talking about when they say they're welding the bolts. All I know is that people talk about it on here when the conversation comes up about replacing the clutch basket. A lot of people talk about "welding the 3 bolts" so they don't spin out. I had PM'd SilsbySilverado103 about the subject and he was telling me that he had the bolts welded. I will reach out and ask which bolts specifically and let you know. It could have nothing to do with the basket itself, perhaps a completely different part of the clutch but they mention it because the clutch is already open and it's a common issue...?

·
Registered
2017 YFZ 450R
13 Posts
That's a solid question. I haven't received the new basket yet but when I do I will take the quad apart and try to figure out what people are talking about when they say they're welding the bolts. All I know is that people talk about it on here when the conversation comes up about replacing the clutch basket. A lot of people talk about "welding the 3 bolts" so they don't spin out. I had PM'd SilsbySilverado103 about the subject and he was telling me that he had the bolts welded. I will reach out and ask which bolts specifically and let you know. It could have nothing to do with the basket itself, perhaps a completely different part of the clutch but they mention it because the clutch is already open and it's a common issue...?
Oh, that would be if you install an aftermarket basket. You'd have to bolt the primary gear on to the basket. Some people worry that loctite and pinging the threads isn't enough, so they weld them on. The factory basket has the primary gear already riveted on the basket. No need to weld them. That would actually probably weaken them.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
14+ IS URGENT TO DUMP THE GRENADE BASKET.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
That's exactly what I did with my '17. I also replaced the tabbed lock washer that bends around the nut just to be safe. That's optional though if you just want to reuse the one you have. Part numbers were:
18P-16150-00-00 (basket with primary driven gear)
5XD-16154-00-00 (thrust washer)
90215-20005-00 (lock washer)
Just ordered this setup, thanks for the advise man

·
Registered
214 Posts
Figured since I got to rebuild my motor might as well sturdy up the basket and put somehigh compression in the old 2020 model-t!!! Hopefully the bolt that ran throughmy motor was gentle and didn’t destroy everything

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
33 Posts
Figured since I got to rebuild my motor might as well sturdy up the basket and put somehigh compression in the old 2020 model-t!!! Hopefully the bolt that ran throughmy motor was gentle and didn’t destroy everything
What do ya mean? Your clutch already exploded?!

·
Registered
214 Posts
What do ya mean? Your clutch already exploded?!
LOL no I wish that’s what happened I broke the long bolt off the oil filter cap drilled it out and a piece fell straight into the motor I thought I got it all but I was wrong as soon as it started sounded absolutely horrible!!!!

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
33 Posts
LOL no I wish that’s what happened I broke the long bolt off the oil filter cap drilled it out and a piece fell straight into the motor I thought I got it all but I was wrong as soon as it started sounded absolutely horrible!!!!
Damn dude, sorry to hear it! Good reason to do some upgrades though.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts