YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a ‘yfz450r, and I have heard the clutch randomly likes to grenade. So I’m trying to decide which aftermarket clutch to go with. Strictly ride the dunes. I do like to be in control of the clutch, so idk if I would like to go with a rekluse or similar? Direct drive clutches work okay or just for dragging?

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
33 Posts
So I have a ‘yfz450r, and I have heard the clutch randomly likes to grenade. So I’m trying to decide which aftermarket clutch to go with. Strictly ride the dunes. I do like to be in control of the clutch, so idk if I would like to go with a rekluse or similar? Direct drive clutches work okay or just for dragging?
I'm going to piggy back this and hope this thread comes to life!

I have zero hours on a brand new 2020 YFZ450R and would like to know how urgent people think this clutch replacement truly is. Obviously we all have a lot of money into these machines and nobody wants a "faulty" clutch to explode on them resulting in more money (potentially BIG money) into the machine if there's a fairly cheap fix that can be made prior to the bomb going off.

Before everybody says "there's post about this subject" please know, I have read them and there is NO CLEAR ANSWER! I've heard things like, replace it with an '09 clutch but that's quite vague if you ask me. Other people say, buy a used '09 clutch and swap parts but then there's talk about needing a press in order to do that. People saying you "need" different parts off the '09 clutch...etc.

So...that being said, can someone just answer me this...? Can't I just buy a FULL Hinson clutch kit (includes clutch basket) and eliminate this potential stock clutch blowing up? OR...is there a certain part in the stock clutch that is cause of the clutch exploding that I can replace with aftermarket? For example, if it's the stock clutch basket, can I simply buy a steel Hinson clutch basket and eliminate the problem? The reason I ask is because again, I have read all the prior post about this subject and I've seen people saying that they're buying Hinson clutch parts and STILL having to weld parts together in their garage!!

There's no way that this clutch fix can't be simplified but to this day, I haven't heard a simple fix explained or given!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Seems like the issues started coming up with the 17’s and newer from past post on the forums

·
Registered
2017 YFZ 450R
13 Posts
I talked to Hinson and they agreed that simply replacing the stock basket with one of theirs doesn't eliminate the problem. I ended up just replacing my '17 basket with one from a '09-'10. You only need the basket and thrust washer, not the entire clutch assembly like has been said in other posts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know that your asking about the yfz450r but I just done a ton of research on clutches for a 2012 yfz450 and it should be similar I'm guessing for your quad..
After reading a ton of comments I was lead to believe that the oem yamaha clutch was the best way to go but I continued reading and found out the clutch basket is made from inexpensive die casting that wear quickly and I'm guessing would wear out your clutch plates and springs quickly, wiseco explains all this when you look up their clutch basket and they make a way more durable basket that comes with a lifetime warranty..

Back to the clutch parts, I was about to get stock oem clutch steel and fiber kit and it was fairly expensive at $190 cad and continued reading up on oem clutches and started finding out that some cheaper aftermarket clutch kits are made better and hold up longer than oem.. so I got an alba clutch, this kit is made with stiffer springs and they claim that yamaha actually contacted alba about their clutch kits and brought them back to Japan to do testing..
They claim that these clutch kits hold up in 1000 km baja races and keep going, not to mention this kit cost me only $115 and it comes with better springs, better steel, better fibers and a gasket for the clutch plate..
I also came across these tusk clutch kits which would be the cheapest option for me but there are way too many negative reviews leading me to believe stock would be way better than those..
This is all new to me and yesterday is the first time I've taken apart a clutch to inspect it but I have been riding bikes all my life.. never had a clutch burn out so we will see in a couple weeks how this Alba clutch kit works out..

This is the kit I ordered and I'm hoping it fits in a stock 2012 yfz450 without any headaches like I had with my rotor and brakes..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also ebc clutch kits might even be a better option to go over alba.. lots of people use ebc and never came across any negative feedback from those other than someone ordering an ebc ss kit I believe he had to customize it a bit for it to fit the stock basket, my neighbor runs an ebc kit in his yfz with no problems but I didn't go with the ebc kit because it's a bit pricey and finding parts for this model is not easy..

·
Registered
39 Posts
I might also like to add that I read up on the hinson basket as well and wiseco is more durable and holds up better than hinson.. plus it comes with a lifetime warranty which that alone should put anyone's mind at peace when it comes to your clutch..

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
33 Posts
I talked to Hinson and they agreed that simply replacing the stock basket with one of theirs doesn't eliminate the problem. I ended up just replacing my '17 basket with one from a '09-'10. You only need the basket and thrust washer, not the entire clutch assembly like has been said in other posts.
I appreciate the feedback...one more question...
If I buy an '09-'10 basket and thrust washer can I use the rest of the '20 clutch parts as if it were plug and play? I haven't run the quad yet so all of the stock '20 parts are brand new.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry if I'm getting in the way here I'm just trying to help you pick the best option, wiseco and alba really make everything a bit easier to understand
I would ask the manufacturer about the compatibility

Notes on Clutch Fibers -- There are 3 primary types of wet clutch fibers. Cork/impregnated rubber, paper composite, and kevlar. Cork is what most factory clutches are made from as well as entry level clutch kits. The problem with corq is that is degrades easily at a low temperature and does not offer much friction for holding power. This causes it to easily glaze and fail. Paper and kevlar can put up with much more abuse and heat. The problem with kevlar is that as it wears it fills your engine/transmission with kevlar material that is abrasive and can cause wear. We recommend kevlar for drag race only applications. All of our clutches are a paper composite compound. Paper gives very long life and can take a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
2017 YFZ 450R
13 Posts
I appreciate the feedback...one more question...
If I buy an '09-'10 basket and thrust washer can I use the rest of the '20 clutch parts as if it were plug and play? I haven't run the quad yet so all of the stock '20 parts are brand new.
That's exactly what I did with my '17. I also replaced the tabbed lock washer that bends around the nut just to be safe. That's optional though if you just want to reuse the one you have. Part numbers were:
18P-16150-00-00 (basket with primary driven gear)
5XD-16154-00-00 (thrust washer)
90215-20005-00 (lock washer)

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
33 Posts
That's exactly what I did with my '17. I also replaced the tabbed lock washer that bends around the nut just to be safe. That's optional though if you just want to reuse the one you have. Part numbers were:
18P-16150-00-00 (basket with primary driven gear)
5XD-16154-00-00 (thrust washer)
90215-20005-00 (lock washer)
You are the man BaKillen!! This is what I meant by a clear and simple response / fix. This info may have been out there on this site somewhere but you made it a lot easier so I appreciate that a bunch.
How long have you been running that setup and do you like it? I’m assuming you do or you wouldn’t suggest it to others but I’m buying these parts TODAY unless you suggest anything different. Thanks again man, appreciate it!!

·
Registered
2017 YFZ 450R
13 Posts
You are the man BaKillen!! This is what I meant by a clear and simple response / fix. This info may have been out there on this site somewhere but you made it a lot easier so I appreciate that a bunch.
How long have you been running that setup and do you like it? I’m assuming you do or you wouldn’t suggest it to others but I’m buying these parts TODAY unless you suggest anything different. Thanks again man, appreciate it!!
No problem at all. It took me a long time to figure it all out myself, searching here, google, and youtube. So I understand the frustration of trying to find an answer. I just did it to mine last month after continuing to see the horror stories of them grenading. So far so good. The info I got came from a guy on youtube, who actually was a tech at Yamaha. He explained when and what parts changed through the years, to better understand what was interchangeable. His quad had this same mod done and has been happy with it for over a year now.

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
33 Posts
No problem at all. It took me a long time to figure it all out myself, searching here, google, and youtube. So I understand the frustration of trying to find an answer. I just did it to mine last month after continuing to see the horror stories of them grenading. So far so good. The info I got came from a guy on youtube, who actually was a tech at Yamaha. He explained when and what parts changed through the years, to better understand what was interchangeable. His quad had this same mod done and has been happy with it for over a year now.
That's awesome to hear! The parts are all sitting in my PartZilla cart as we speak so I'm hitting the checkout button now. A little pricey but I knew that was going to be the case based on the research I've done in the past as well. $330 shipped is much cheaper than blowing up the entire thing OR buying a whole new aftermarket setup so I'm happy to spend it.
I've had a guy PM me the other day about the clutch issue so I'm going to share this info with him as well, I'm sure he'll be just as happy as I am to have the mystery solved! (y)

·
Registered
2017 YFZ 450R
13 Posts
That's awesome to hear! The parts are all sitting in my PartZilla cart as we speak so I'm hitting the checkout button now. A little pricey but I knew that was going to be the case based on the research I've done in the past as well. $330 shipped is much cheaper than blowing up the entire thing OR buying a whole new aftermarket setup so I'm happy to spend it.
I've had a guy PM me the other day about the clutch issue so I'm going to share this info with him as well, I'm sure he'll be just as happy as I am to have the mystery solved! (y)
Exactly how I felt spending money on something that has been working just fine till now. Rather not risk it any longer.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Bnr has a kit they put together but it’s sold out. I’m thinking about looking into the Hinson basket

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
33 Posts
Bnr has a kit they put together but it’s sold out. I’m thinking about looking into the Hinson basket
That's pretty cool they're putting it all together for you to make life easier but I wonder what they're marking it up. I'm paying exactly $328.67 shipped from Partzilla and all items are in stock. I wish the BNR site had the price listed like most other sites and just showed "0" in stock.
Thanks for the heads up on that!
How's your clutch holding up? Is it the stock 2016 clutch?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts