YFZ Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14' 450R that I purchased new in the middle of Nov. I have probably between 5-7 hours on the motor and I'm not even through my 3rd full tank of gas yet. I just got back from family vacation on the east coast where I brought my quad with me to do some riding. It was all cut short when the clutch went out on me and I had to be towed about 5 miles back by my buddy. You can put it in gear and as soon as you release the clutch lever nothing happens, it doesn't even cut off. I was doing normal trail riding in the Pa mountains, nothing to spectacular. Called the dealership and they had a guy bring in a 14' Raptor with the exact same problem and h purchased his around the same time I did and had about the same amount of hours. It's at the dealer now and they will pull the cover off and look at it. Then they have to go through Yamaha to see if they will cover it under warranty. I would hope they would considering how little it has been used. Any suggestions on if it's not covered. The dealer quoted me around $500 for new clutch pack and install. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I can see why they may not cover it. They don't know what you had done to it... but in that same note I just replaced my original one in my 07. I have been everything but nice to it. When I pulled it down fibers and plates still looked awesome. I swapped for stiffer springs and wasn't opening it up and leaving old parts in there.

Second for 500 do it yourself. Kit from yamahasportsplaza.com is under $150 I believe and comes with a gasket. You can also upgrade to the yz clutch spring kit for more bite.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I got it back from the dealer today, they didn't have to touch a thing. The mechanic took it out to their field and rode it until he about froze, said he could not see any problems with the clutch and that it ran great. I got it home and it also rode great for me. I don't know what the problem was when I was out there, but it would not move at all in any gear, wouldn't even cut off when you let the clutch out all the way without giving it any gas. I'm gonna keep my eye on a Rekluse clutch though, I really like what I'm seeing with them.

·
Super Moderator
3,149 Posts
^^^ X2 - I was just thinking the same thing....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.