YFZ Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple questions about my clutch.

It is not engaging, but what I have noticed is that the push rod does not really sit flush up against the clutch basket when it is all assembled. When I pull the clutch arm, it does push the twist rod out, but it doesn't seem like far enough? Is it supposed to sit flush against the clutch basket? I have really no idea, unless it is that there is wear on my parts. I suspect wear on the twist rod. But the gangs all there, arm, twist rod, ball, all plates and fibers, so I just have no idea. The weird thing was it seemed to be working fine, and I just changed the clutch cable because my old one was stretched.

Please don't go in a tangent about clutch cable adjustments as I am troubleshooting this manually pulling the clutch arm. So, eliminating the cable from the equation, anyone have any ideas? Much appreciated as this is the LAST thing holding me up. Just odd, really.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Is the button that pushes against the pressure plate there? The small end tof the push rod goes in first, and sometimes you have to slightly turn the clutch cable arm to get it to seat properly.
Unless you are really REALLY strong, or use a lot of leverage, when you trist the clutch arm, you won't be able to open a properly assembled clutch very far.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply Daddio(Btw people Daddio is a A+ Seller, thus far!)

I'm going to just assume it is not seated properly. I had taken it apart, several times, and put it back together in compliance with the manual and exploded diagrams, I see how it works--the seat cut out of the clutch arm that the push rod goes into and to my understanding it is correct. What do you mean by "button that pushes against pressure plate"? Are you referring to pieces 17-20 in the diagram of the link below??

2004 YFZ450 - YFZ450S Yamaha ATV CLUTCH Diagram and Parts

If so yes it is there. And thats my main question: SHOULD 17-20(when assembled) should it be flush up against the pressure plate when the clutch is not engaged. Just sitting there, should it be flush?

·
Registered
19 Posts
How did you fix this problem the same thing is happening to my 07 yfz

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still have not gotten it fixed, even got all components. I know the problem has to be the clutch arm, as the rod, ball, and plates are all new and the basket is sitting correctly. It has to be that arm! I'll find out tomorrow night, have not been building much since I got the new 700...but this bad boy should be on on it's feet soon!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m literlly going through the same thing clutch cable snapped in the woods I kept slamming it in gear and with new cable it won’t engage in neutral I replaced the whole clutch assembly rods and pushes ball all r fine so tell me when I fix it what it is

1 - 8 of 8 Posts