YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty... I started noticing the knocking noise about a month ago when I would just start it up. Some people were telling me that I needed to re adjust my valves prolly. Wasn't able to get out and ride very much until today I went riding for about 5 hours and continued to hear the noise. I started to realize that the knocking noise is only present when the clutch is NOT pulled in. No matter what gear I'm riding in you can hear the noise all up until I pull in the clutch. What would be causing it to make this noise when the clutch is released compared to not making the noise pulled in going through the gears...? I also noticed that my quad starts a lot easier even when in neutral when I have the clutch pulled in. I'm confused. Help please! :)

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've had other weird problems with my clutch as well so this isn't the first thing...yayy me. Lol

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sounds like something is up in the transmission to me. With the clutch not pulled in when in neutral it would still be spinning the tranny, causing the noise and resistance which would hurt the starting. I'm sorry I can't give you any more than that, but I've never heard of anything like that.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah and the other problem I had before today I just hopped on it real fast to move it. And I just got it into 2nd gear and it died... like my clutch was locking up and killing the engine, cuz then afterwards it smelled like something was burning. Your not the only one that is stumped by it, or hasn't heard of anything like it before. I'm confused. It even has the yfz guru's confused...

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
ok i guess just open her up and check every thing. inspect the disks make sure all of them are there. every thing tight. look for damage.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 250r atc does the same thing sometimes, but only in neutral. I would pop the cover and check for loose or stripped bolts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
If it was a rod bearing it would do it constantly, nut just when the clutch is engaged.
This statment is not correct. Lower rod and crank bearings when going bad may make some noise with little to no resistance on them, but will sound much louder and be esier to hear when there is a load on them. Like when the clutch is engaged or there is pressure on the drive train... So that being said it is very possible that the lower rod bearing or crank bearings are starting to fail. Her statement about being harder to start while the clutch is not deppressed also is a good sign of this.... Sorry about the bad luck:|

·
Registered
459 Posts
This statment is not correct. Lower rod and crank bearings when going bad may make some noise with little to no resistance on them, but will sound much louder and be esier to hear when there is a load on them. Like when the clutch is engaged or there is pressure on the drive train... So that being said it is very possible that the lower rod bearing or crank bearings are starting to fail. Her statement about being harder to start while the clutch is not deppressed also is a good sign of this.... Sorry about the bad luck:|
That's true. I didn't think about regular engine noise possibly drowning out the knock when not under load.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aghh Yess. The person I was waiting to reply, I knew you would know what your talking about and what's going on. Remember I showed you that video of it just idling and you can hear the knock, you said then it didn't sound right yeah pull the clutch in and it goes away. So what happens when the rod bearing fully goes out or whatever, blow the thing up lol...!? Thaaanks Ron. :)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Aghh Yess. The person I was waiting to reply, I knew you would know what your talking about and what's going on. Remember I showed you that video of it just idling and you can hear the knock, you said then it didn't sound right yeah pull the clutch in and it goes away. So what happens when the rod bearing fully goes out or whatever, blow the thing up lol...!? Thaaanks Ron. :)
YES! That is possible that it could grenade if it locks up under very high rpm, but not as likely as you may think. Sometimes it just quickly slows down and stops running then when cooled off it may even start up again. Now all this being said you could get several more hours of riding out of the quad before you have any major issues. All of this comes down to your ability to rebuild or how much it will cost you to get it done. If it was me of course the engine would already be torn down with all new parts on the way... JUST SAYING8)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Not to jack the thread, but that'd be a good Christmas present for your cyber lady of interest taco :lol

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So Ronnie that discussion about tearing it down and powdercoating it lime green and black is sounding better and better ehh! :) 2 birds one stone. FTW!! lol and umm I'm not as good as you I can't just cross my fingers and pray and hope it goes well. So its just sitting pretty in my garage now.

Thread jacking pffft. There's already a thread started on that. Haha

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ughh... now what!!!??? Took the oil filter off to check for metal shavings and I got nothing... so I'm lost now. Ronnie...lol I need your help.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm. Took clutch apart... there are some scratches and deep grooves in some of the teeth. And the steel plates look like the got hot and burnt since they have an iridium burnt color look to them... New clutch soon...yeahh. And as I stated above that it would start easier with clutch pulled in...on first start yes. After it was warm up it would start right up with just pushing the button. Would that change the possibility of a rod bearing...!? This knocking noise will be the death of me, and starting to make me sound retarted.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeahhh! Problem has officially been found! :)) aaand Id have to say your all wrong on what you thought it was. Lol just sayin.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts