YFZ Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first YFZ, a friend of mine told me you only need to use the clutch when starting off and when coming to a hault. Is this true? does it not cause extra strain on the clutch/gearbox? How many of you feel this way?
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
you can shift it with out the clutch, I do it frequently enough, but I have bent a shift fork doing it so you are taking some risk power shifting.

·
Registered
416 Posts
to me it depends on your riding.... if your just cruising thou the trails and you just want to shift up with not alot of load on the motor it should be fine.... when i drag race i use the clutch almost all the time, when you take off sometimes you need to double clutch it to control the front end! and same goes for decell.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've been usin it, but some guys i talked to don't.. So this season im going to try it and see if i notice a significant differance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is hard on everything if you don't use the clutch. You have to let of the gas to power shift anyways, Im not sure about the rest of you but I can pull that clutch plenty quick. The only times I don't use my clutch in the race is if my arms are dead tired and I can't pull in the clutch anymore.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
u dont use it when im like cruisin down a road and like barely on the gas, and cuz im too lazy to put my hand back on the handlebar :mhihi:

but for racing and stuff i always use it, it takes about as long as your foot shifting and can get a good boost in power if you dump it at the right time.

JMO

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
i do both but if you are going to not use the clutch then you need to do it right or you bend the shift forks.i do it mostly on long rides or races antwhere i can save my arms is a good thing

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
I hardly ever use my clutch. For starting off and whenever I need to lock up the rear wheels are the only times I can think of that I use mine. I've been racing MX on my YFZ for over 5 years now, and I've never had any problems from it whatsoever and I'm still running the stock clutches that came in it from the factory. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE (gtilley45 @ Feb 13 2009, 02:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746179
I hardly ever use my clutch. For starting off and whenever I need to lock up the rear wheels are the only times I can think of that I use mine. I've been racing MX on my YFZ for over 5 years now, and I've never had any problems from it whatsoever and I'm still running the stock clutches that came in it from the factory. :icon_eek:[/b]
x2

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I use it for starting and quick stopping, and will just barely engage the clutch to help smooth the shifts if I am really on the gas. I have had great luck with stock clutches so far. I do not think I have ever replaced one yet, but will have to pretty soon on my spare 04 motor.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I try to use it as much as possible, but on long rides sometimes i find myself not or im almost to tires too. alot of times on wheelies i dont though

·
Registered
231 Posts
I use it most of the time. I think there's a slight risk not using it (shift forks) but that's not why I use it. I have better results never letting out of the throttle between gears, but using the clutch in an all out run. I guess it's basically of a preference thing. You have more control on how much you're putting to the ground if you're feathering the clutch, sometimes less is more. I use it in the air if I have to shift (killed it once in the air, roll starting on the landing not good & nosedive worse).

Try both ways, see what works for you. Different things work for different people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just go out and ride and get a feel for it, you'll be able to tell when the clutch is appropriate. Everybody has their own opinion on when to use it but you'll figure it out pretty quick once you ride

·
Registered
202 Posts
ok when i race the clutch helps out so much. When i go to shift i keep my thumb on the throttle and pull in the clutch then shift and then dump it. No letting go of the gas when you do this the rpms climb real high but only for a split seccond because your shifting fast. This makes the gear your going in very fast for example if you did this going into 4th to 5th gear you rocket from the jump in rpms theres no gradual increase in speed just right away.

just my 2 cents

i dont do it always just if i need the extra juice also you can do this as instead of shifting down if your in 5th and the engine is bogging a bit hold the gas and pull in the clutch and let it go real fast the rpm will increase then all that power to the rear wheels but this can be bad on the clutch if you dont do it fast enough

·
Registered
68 Posts
you know I used to always use the clutch on everything, but then I got a air shifter on my zx12... since then I have only used the clutch for taking off and coming to a stop on most everything I have. I dont go through clutches to fast on my race bike (thats also known to go through clutches fast) then why would it hurt my stock super smooth 4liller!!! JMO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
they made them with clutches for a reason, but when your easing around its ok to slip the ole gear in their every once in awhile with out any clutch, hell i do from time to time as the need arises. If you just try to ram it in their you might bend something if ya know what i mean. So just take my advice and ease that baby in with alittle clutch action when your really wanting to goose on that little baby.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I use the clutch all the time.

The only time i powershift is when im riding out the gears in a wheelie.

·
Registered
555 Posts
QUOTE (gtilley45 @ Feb 13 2009, 03:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746179
I hardly ever use my clutch. For starting off and whenever I need to lock up the rear wheels are the only times I can think of that I use mine. I've been racing MX on my YFZ for over 5 years now, and I've never had any problems from it whatsoever and I'm still running the stock clutches that came in it from the factory. :icon_eek:[/b]

I never use mine race mx all the time still on stock 04 gears forks levers and clutch.

The thing is do it right or don't do it. When u up shift let of the gas real quick as u shift up. As for down shifting make sure the bike is at a low enouph rpm to go down. Never force it if dun right bike trannys are constant mesh and the bike will slide right into gear.

Just pratic doing it and if u don't like it or glide with it don't do it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts