YFZ Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my valve clearances today on the YFZ and 4 out of 5 were out of spec ... not by much, but they were a little tight. I get on the phone and call the dealer before pulling the cams. They assure me that they have all the common sizes in stock.

So I pull the cams and check the shim sizes and use the service manual to figure out what replacements I need. Head down to the dealer .... sure enough they had the smaller diameter shims for the YZ250F, but not for YFZ's or any YZ motorcycles.

so .... I ask "WELL ... HOW DO YOU DO A VALVE ADJUSTMENT WITHOUT A SHIM ASSORTMENT???"

So .. I'm on the hunt for 2 165's and 2 175's. I was surprised to find them out of spec ... take a look

·
Registered
182 Posts
The manual says check'em at the end of the first month and 6th after that check them every 6 months....What do any of our experts reccommend because I am new to this...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by YFZinJay@Dec 22 2003, 05:30 PM
The manual says check'em at the end of the first month and 6th after that check them every 6 months....What do any of our experts reccommend because I am new to this...
sounds good!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Mine where all within spec when I installed my piston a few weeks ago. And that was after having the bike for over 2 months and riding the piss out of it.

Hope you get your parts before new years, I know shipping is all backed up right now.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up the shims I needed today at the local Honda dealer ... seems the CRF450R runs the same ones. Sweet!

Changed my spark plug while I was in there .... it was a touch too rich for my taste but I was lazy before I rode @ 4000 ft last weekend and kept my sea level jetting. It runs very crisp now. Id like to run it up and down the street but ive got my sand tires on :disgust

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by yfz450 kid+Dec 25 2003, 04:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yfz450 kid @ Dec 25 2003, 04:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--schwendi@Dec 23 2003, 02:27 PM
Id like to run it up and down the street but ive got my sand tires on  :disgust
Well,, Then it's time to come to Dumont for New Years isn't it???

[/b][/quote]
Got that right!!! Looks like your all ready to go too :rock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts