YFZ Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just bought my new yfz from the local dealer, red/white of course. Just have a quick question, as soon as I brought it home, I rode it around the blcok and noticed my chain vibrating up and down slapping on the chain guard at low rpm's in each gear. I called the shop, told them what was up, and they said just keep riding, the chain should stretch a little, and if it is at proper slack, it shouldn't be a problem. Well, I went riding and it wasn't a problem, but it does annoy the f**k out of me to hear it clink in low rpms. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you think if I adjust the slack alittle loose or tighter (most likely loose) it would fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Chase
Phoenix, AZ
04' YFZ 450 Red/White
DG Fat series skid plate

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would adjust it to what the manual says.

Geoff.

·
Registered
144 Posts
my chain does this too, I noticed it before an ice race I had the quad on a stand and put tire slime in my tires, I started it up and put in in gear to spread the slime around, that's when I noticed it, the chain jumps up and down when its turning, bad enough that the top roller broke off while racing on an ice oval. I do have a lowering kit in it so the chain is closer to the roller, but there are no bumps on the track and it still hit it and broke it off. I have a new chain to try now, and I am going to put on the roller relocation bracket. hope this solves it. :sonic

·
Registered
869 Posts
If the chain is smacking the skid plate it is too loose and it streching will only make it worse.

on a stand it will do that because the chain is really loose with the shock completely extended.

I would say adjust your chain correctly and do it on the ground or even better with someone sitting on it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Even after adjusting the chain, the noise so bad that I pulled it off after 15 minutes. It's OK running without at the dunes ... just have to watch the rocks everywhere else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My chain did that really bad and yes the chain was in spec, I put a slightly larger MSR roller on the bottom and it seems to have cured most of it. hope that helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts