YFZ Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a new chain for the rebuild, its a primary drive o ring. now i have heard different things from different people, im just wondering what the majority of people do...

some say the o-rings dont really need oil, they self lubricate, and oiling them just makes dirt stick to them, causing more damage...

others say thats just stupid, chains need oil...

ive always cleaned mine and used a good o-ring lube for it, it lasted a long time, but it did always seem to gunk up quick.

what is everyone else's opinion on this??

·
Registered
453 Posts
How do they self lubricate? I always lube mine up, just thought it was something that was supposed to be done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (leveldrummer @ Feb 17 2009, 11:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747442
i just got a new chain for the rebuild, its a primary drive o ring. now i have heard different things from different people, im just wondering what the majority of people do...

some say the o-rings dont really need oil, they self lubricate, and oiling them just makes dirt stick to them, causing more damage...

others say thats just stupid, chains need oil...

ive always cleaned mine and used a good o-ring lube for it, it lasted a long time, but it did always seem to gunk up quick.

what is everyone else's opinion on this??[/b]
I wash mine with soapy water then oil it after..you dont want a dry chain, friction isnt good on anything

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
if you ever go sand riding then let it soak in gas and let it completely dry out

but ive never heard the self lubricating thing before, i say you can never have enough lube lol

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hahaha thats a life lesson right they're. But yeh, im not sure how a chain would lubricate itself?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
I always lube mine. Don't use oil based product because the dirt and sand will stick to your chain. Use wax based stuff instead.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not self lubricating they are sealed with oil in them, you still need to have some kind of o ring safe lube on the outside oil and wax base stuff are out of date haha I use amsoil dry lube

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (YFZER359 @ Feb 17 2009, 09:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747646
if you ever go sand riding then let it soak in gas and let it completely dry out

but ive never heard the self lubricating thing before, i say you can never have enough lube lol[/b]

You should never soak an o-ring chain in gas, or apply gas to the chain. Use kerosene or WD-40. I have also heard not to use WD-40 out of the aerosol can. They say that the aerosol hurts the o-ring. I guess they are suggesting buying it in the can and squirting it on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts