YFZ Central banner

CDI??

2K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  pahrump 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Keep this on top! I have been wondering about those for along time!

Somebody has to have one installed :re

#4 ·
It does not add any power, it just increases the limiter. I got a graph from Procom showing the "dyno" numbers and they were the same. The top end looks better though.
I got mine for about a hundred bucks. Some posters on other forums have said in a flat out drag race the extra 1,000 rpm's makes a huge difference. I don't really hit the limiter now but would like to see what's up there since the motor just keeps pulling. The motor is made to really rev but some others with the bikes have said you might do a valve in. The big thing is to really avoid hitting the limiter. That can really damage a motor at such high revs.

#5 ·
I just bought one of them off Ebay, so when it gets here I will let you all know just what -- if anything -- the Procom CDI does for a piped/jetted K+N equipped YFZ 8)

#7 ·
Originally posted by AlaskaYFZ@Feb 5 2004, 11:07 PM
I have one...never installed. I will sell it for 80.00 shipped. I ended up going with a programmable cdi from Vortex.......JIM
Jim....$80 bucks :O Man you are gonna have every kid that ever thought he might get a YFZ someday PM'ing ya to try and buy that with their momies credit card :lol

#9 ·
I have one...never installed. I will sell it for 80.00 shipped. I ended up going with a programmable cdi from Vortex.......JIM
Jim, I would have jumped all over that, but I paypalled the money last night.

I swear It could be a calm day and if I start spraypainting a 50MPH gale wind will come out of nowhere. :lol :lol

#10 ·
Originally posted by Barely Legal@Feb 5 2004, 01:42 PM
It does not add any power, it just increases the limiter.  I got a graph from Procom showing the "dyno" numbers and they were the same.  The top end looks better though. 
I got mine for about a hundred bucks.  Some posters on other forums have said in a flat out drag race the extra 1,000 rpm's makes a huge difference.  I don't really hit the limiter now but would like to see what's up there since the motor just keeps pulling.  The motor is made to really rev but some others with the bikes have said you might do a valve in.  The big thing is to really avoid hitting the limiter.  That can really damage a motor at such high revs.
Barely Legal, maybe you could post the dyno graph from procom because I emailed them for that and they haven't responded. What do you mean when you say the top end looks better, but hp didn't increase? Or pm me the graph.

#12 ·
Jim,did the Vortec do anything for your quad?That's the one I'll probily be getting...........I asked Scott at Sparks,but he said he couldn't give me an honest answer.Thanks. :rock

#13 ·
Originally posted by amsoil123+Feb 8 2004, 10:17 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (amsoil123 @ Feb 8 2004, 10:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--AlaskaYFZ@Feb 5 2004, 11:07 PM
I have one...never installed.  I will sell it for 80.00 shipped.  I ended up going with a programmable cdi from Vortex.......JIM
Jim,did the Vortec do anything for your quad?That's the one I'll probily be getting...........I asked Scott at Sparks,but he said he couldn't give me an honest answer.Thanks. :rock [/b][/quote]
it's on backorder...should have it in a couple weeks.

#14 ·
Originally posted by moby813@Feb 8 2004, 12:21 AM
i have one as well and they do not work if you have the kick starter but if you dont plan on kicking it works great i will sell mine for 75.00 shipped to your door
I also found out that the DynaTek that I have will not work with the kicker if you remove the battery. The stock stator does not produce enough power to run the ignition.

I am trying a couple of things to see what can be done.

One is a different flywheen from trailtech and another is a small capacitor, to hold in some power.

#15 ·
Originally posted by Pahrump+Feb 8 2004, 11:08 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pahrump @ Feb 8 2004, 11:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--moby813@Feb 8 2004, 12:21 AM
i have one as well and they do not work if you have the kick starter but if you dont plan on kicking it works great i will sell mine for 75.00 shipped to your door
I also found out that the DynaTek that I have will not work with the kicker if you remove the battery. The stock stator does not produce enough power to run the ignition.

I am trying a couple of things to see what can be done.

One is a different flywheen from trailtech and another is a small capacitor, to hold in some power. [/b][/quote]
Alright...I think you just answered a question I was going to ask you....... :)

#16 ·
Originally posted by AlaskaYFZ@Feb 8 2004, 11:13 AM

Alright...I think you just answered a question I was going to ask you....... :)
Funny, I just replied to your PM after I replied here :D

If you have any other questions or want to talk about it though feel free to call. :)

I ain't got nothing else to do.

Scott

#17 ·
I checked the procom site and it says it raises the rpms from 9600 to 10600. I thought stock was already set at 10600?

#18 ·
Originally posted by King 450@Feb 14 2004, 09:41 PM
I checked the procom site and it says it raises the rpms from 9600 to 10600. I thought stock was already set at 10600?
stock is 10,750.... i dnt know where they got that from...... that is the 450Rs limit, so i wonder if they messed up :what

#19 ·
I bought one on ebay for 82.00 before i checked the web site. do you think the web sit is wrong or did i get screwed?

#20 ·
I just tested mine out the other day. Yes it does raise the stock limiter about 1000 RPM. If you want to use it, the motor pulls harder and harder all the way up there. It's incredible and a lot of fun. No real need unless you feel like you can't quite fit a shift in during a given situation. It pulls pretty much the same as the stocker with no added power. I'll drag race and find out if it makes a difference. I heard it did. I'm usually in third gear in 40 feet. I bet winding out 3rd and 4th to almost 12 grand is going to be unstopable though.

#22 ·
Originally posted by Pahrump@Feb 8 2004, 11:08 AM

I asked the owner of Vortex this question

A lot of guys are wanting to know if your cdi will work when they convert their bike to a kick start and remove the electrics?
he replied---

Yes I believe this should be OK as long as all the electrics except the battery is still in place. e.g. the regulator must be their.

Note: We have not tested this on this model but we have on the WR450 which has a SIMILAR electrical system

Geoff.

#24 ·
Well, I tested mine today.

It seemed to have no limit on top end (used to hit it all the time)

If you miss a shift, or just need to hang on for one more second before shifting this thing works beautifully.

As for boosting power through the powerband...no.

#26 ·
I would guess it would have more top speed, but I will not know unless I do the "race the wife down the road" thing again.

It definately revvs higher. I get that painful feeling in my ears when I rev the bike (Must be the HMF pipe), and it does not hit the limit when I rev it anymore. :woo

The limit is there, but you dont hit it unless you just flat hold down the throttle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.