YFZ Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one of your filters from Oroville Cycle. I installed it on the tube that goes from the little box into the airbox. Can i just remove the little box and place the filter directly onto the tube coming out of the engine with no risks? Thanks .

·
Registered
522 Posts
There are 2 tubes that need to routed into that little filter. One from the valve cover and the other from the starter gear. Once thats been done then you can remove it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Originally posted by IDAHOMX@Jan 12 2006, 07:11 AM
There are 2 tubes that need to routed into that little filter. One from the valve cover and the other from the starter gear. Once thats been done then you can remove it.
[snapback]355540[/snapback]​
BS........... what a crock, The black box allows oil mist blown out of the engine cam cover vent to accumulate and drain back into the low end via the hose into the starter idler gear. Removing the black box is plain dumb................... any oil mist vented out has no way of draining back to the low end,

I've had one of the black boxes apart to figure how it works, pretty clear when you see inside it, the placement of the internal baffles and filter gauze screen, the idea of the different tube sizes and placements becomes pretty clear; it's sized and placed for a reason.

Some guys reroute the breather tube to the rear of the airbox and add a small K&N, not a bad idea.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This mod can be done several hundreds of YFZ's have had it done. I myself have done it with no issues.

I think that you were a little harsh Kiwi, telling someone they are plain dumb is just rude, get a grip..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Originally posted by 1fastyfz450@Jan 29 2006, 07:34 AM
This mod can be done several hundreds of YFZ's have had it done. I myself have done it with no issues.

I think that you were a little harsh Kiwi, telling someone they are plain dumb is just rude, get a grip..
[snapback]365532[/snapback]​

... kiwi was just trying to help,but maybe got impatiant,or worked up over the issue of removing it ,and or felt no need too.....just be carefull youll build up too much presure if you take the box off and not filter and route it right.good luck

·
Registered
522 Posts
It just relieves pressure from the motor,, Period. You dont believe me look at Kory ellis YFZ He has NO Filter or vents and it routed straight down and out with just a Hose. You should learn more before you call names.And if you read my original post you would see that this was done into one of those little K&n filters.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You better go tell the factory mechanics that work on Korys quad that they cant run there Case hoses this way! :neener: :bowdown:

If you look you can see the Blue hose running from a T to the ground!!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Originally posted by onyx07@Jan 29 2006, 08:24 AM
... kiwi was just trying to help,but maybe got impatiant,or worked up over the issue of removing it ,and or felt no need too.....just be carefull youll build up too much presure if you take the box off and not filter and route it right.good luck
[snapback]365549[/snapback]​
Ellis did his a little differently and seemed to get by w it. Can't this cause a problem eventually? He ran this blue hose off of it, unfiltered...
Ellis's Quad

Picture#2

·
Registered
208 Posts
All this hose does it relieve crank case preasure and it is a breather hose. Ellis just has it pointed to the ground so in the event of to much preasure it will go onto the ground and not through the black box which redirects the little bit of oil back into the valve cover. It is a good idea to have a filter on this to keep foriegn material out. But I have to agree with Idahomx, if it was a problem the factory mechanics that work on his machine would not do it.

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
the hose don't even need a filter as long as its not remotely possible for water to get "pushed" up there along with dirt and clog it or go into the engine. It pushes air constantly and if you do have a filter on it near the air box and becomes filled with oil to the point it clogs it you just have a bigger problem.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

[/b]
ive eliminated mine to no probs kiwi just isnt smart enough

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Right now i have the little black box from factory and the tube that usually goes to the airbox jsut hanging. Im thinking about getting a little filter for it. I think i am missing something with this set up though. I relize the valve cover and starter have tubes that go to the factory black box. So if you got rid of the black box would you be buying two filters? this is dumb im sure but I am being up front with how lost i am on this.

Should i just put a darn filter on the tube that usually hooks into the airbox and leave it at that ? ? ? when i flipped my quad last month oil drenched my whole rear end out of that tube and i think a filter could have kept it from being such a mess. I run a FCI so there isnt much else to do.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Right now i have the little black box from factory and the tube that usually goes to the airbox jsut hanging. Im thinking about getting a little filter for it. I think i am missing something with this set up though. I relize the valve cover and starter have tubes that go to the factory black box. So if you got rid of the black box would you be buying two filters? this is dumb im sure but I am being up front with how lost i am on this.

Should i just put a darn filter on the tube that usually hooks into the airbox and leave it at that ? ? ? when i flipped my quad last month oil drenched my whole rear end out of that tube and i think a filter could have kept it from being such a mess. I run a FCI so there isnt much else to do.
[/b]
If you keep the black box and don't run the airbox,you can either run a small filter or reroute the hose downward!

If you choose to remove the black box,you can either "T" the 2 engine breather tubes and cap with 1 filter or you can simply add a filter to each hose! Try to have the hoses pointed downward so they do drain out,if the quad sees water.

The YZF 450 bike only uses the head cover engine vent that routes downward with a short hose,just below the case. Ideally you want as little crankcase pressure as possible. If you pull the hoses off and run the engine you'll feel a pulse at each. Car engine builders generally run a airpump that pulls away the case positive pressure,creating better ring seal and more HP.

The black box is installed for Emission reasons,done for the governments,basically its only affective with a closed factory airbox!

·
Registered
248 Posts
boy, what a reaction ! FACTS: yamaha issued a service bulletin on the WR enduro bikes, they use the hose off the engine that goes up over the steering head and down to under the crankcase, in stream crossings it had been found that engine where drawing water into the low end from the unprotected vent tube with resulting warranty claims. The recommend factory fix, there is a kit for routing the tube to the airbox for better protection.

IF you only ride in the dry then fine, adding a K&N should be considered mandatory.

As for Ellis mx bike, who cares, that engine probably comes down every other race meeting anyways, and that specific detail is most probably a hold over from his custom framed YZ426 power racer from a couple of years back with the vent pipe up over the steering head detail ala the dirt bike it came out of. As for the race mechanics, they aren't from Yamaha, they just do what they are told...................

A better question would be, What does Bill Ballance run ?

I've seen a late model 06 with the up and over hose deal cause it was cool man.........., it had ingested so much sand the starter reduction gear was shot (grinding), the crank timing sprocket teeth where badly worn and the timing chain stuffed. Several teespoons of sand in the low end when the cases where split ............... new piston, cylinder and all new bearings later............ 40 hrs total time............

This quad was only ever ridden in the dunes in the dry............

run an open hose if you wish....................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts