YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my ride was cut short today as I was getting a feel for a small table top. luckily I was just coasting and not going balls out because my wheels locked up off the face of the jump and the wheeler went nose down quick :shocker: .

I hope my axle is still useable.....

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
:shocker: Damn Chris!!!!

That looks like the last carrier I killed. It was so bad, we ended up having to cut it off with a torch. :icon_eek: I think you axle is probably salvageable. I've seen people run worse, I know that for sure. Just go over it really well with some really fine sand paper or that sanding cloth stuff.

What kind of carrier and axle was that?

·
Registered
933 Posts
ahh your axle should be fine, my rpm looked worse than that when my last carrier blew, just kinda file the axle down so theres no sharp points on it and you'll be fine, when my stock carrier blew out i was fourth wide on my way up to a 100ft triple. ended up stopping sideways at the lip. anyways, what kinda carrier is that? i use SRP's dual row, holds up pretty good with the kinda abuse i put it threw.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's actually like an 8 month old LSR carrier with the sealed bearings that they are offereing now. They actually didn't need to be greased as the had a plastic type covering over the ball bearings but when I put my quad back together this winter I packed the carrier full of grease any ways to keep moisture out.

I'm also running a RPM Dominator II axle which you guys see in the pics. I'd be really freakin pissed if I new that my $400 axle wasn't salvagable over a $30 Chinese bearing.

I'm thinking that the reason it might have blown is because all the tracks that I've been riding on around here go in a clockwise direction and I've really been working on my cornering lately. Either that or the bearings were made out on a rice patty somewhere in China :strokin:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sidewinder just went through the same thing. His RPM axle was not salvageable. His grooves where way worse. I was looking at it today and on one side the bearings are completely gone. We were a ways out in the dunes when he noticed his rear brake acting weird. He stopped and notice parts of the carrier melted on the brake rotor. One of the best carnage pieces I have ever seen. Maybe he will chime in.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (CADWELL @ Feb 21 2009, 07:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749183
It's actually like an 8 month old LSR carrier with the sealed bearings that they are offereing now. They actually didn't need to be greased as the had a plastic type covering over the ball bearings but when I put my quad back together this winter I packed the carrier full of grease any ways to keep moisture out.

I'm also running a RPM Dominator II axle which you guys see in the pics. I'd be really freakin pissed if I new that my $400 axle wasn't salvagable over a $30 Chinese bearing.

I'm thinking that the reason it might have blown is because all the tracks that I've been riding on around here go in a clockwise direction and I've really been working on my cornering lately. Either that or the bearings were made out on a rice patty somewhere in China :strokin:[/b]
I've got the same bearings in my carrier. :icon_eek:

I don't know about that one, but on the older LSR carriers you could use OEM axle bearings. Several guys around here seem to get more time out of the OEM bearings than they do the LSR bearings.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (gtilley45 @ Feb 21 2009, 06:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749193
I've got the same bearings in my carrier. :icon_eek:

I don't know about that one, but on the older LSR carriers you could use OEM axle bearings. Several guys around here seem to get more time out of the OEM bearings than they do the LSR bearings.[/b]
Damn Grant, now this chit's gonna be on the back of your mind when you hit the face of a 90ft table 3rd or 4th pinned :shocker: .

Thanks for the tip though, I'll have to make some calss on Mon. to see what I'm gonna end up doing.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (t_wheat @ Feb 21 2009, 06:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749192
Sidewinder just went through the same thing. His RPM axle was not salvageable. His grooves where way worse. I was looking at it today and on one side the bearings are completely gone. We were a ways out in the dunes when he noticed his rear brake acting weird. He stopped and notice parts of the carrier melted on the brake rotor. One of the best carnage pieces I have ever seen. Maybe he will chime in.[/b]
Yeah T-whteat, I remeber seeing a thread on that carnage. At first I thought my bottom end grenaded because when the axle locked up my motor stalled out. But i was able to get it started right up with no problems. Then it seemed as though the rear brake rotor was possibly bent but after close inpection it wasn't.

Once I got back to the pits I noticed the grease protruding out of the carrier and cooking on the carrier itself :shocker: .

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wow I thought mine was bad. In my Raptor 700 my chain kept on getting loose and here my left side axle bearings were demolished. The middle shaft was engraving into my carrier and my axle was misaligned, which rubbed on my brake rotor and brakes and ate them away. Now I just installed new EBC pads, Galfer wave rotor and a new Gibson Carrier. Looks and performs way better.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me twice!!! I just got an East Coast Atv carrier with bearings for $129 on ebay brand new blew it after about 4 hard rides!!! I sent it back and they sent me a new one with bearings (says lifetime warranty on the site) no questions asked! So far this second one has held up great got about 8 hard dune trips on it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Damn bro, thats ugly! :shocker:

Your axle don't really look that bad. I think it should be fine. Glad this happened then and not another lap or 2. Either way it really sucks for sure!

No doubt Grant, might be worth pulling the axle and taking a look around. That could get nasty!!

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (Unlukky @ Feb 21 2009, 11:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749255
Tapered bearings and carrier FTW![/b]
I had an RPM millinium carrier with tapered bearings for a while. I hated it because the brake plate that came with it had the caliper right up in the very top of the rotor, and it was getting smashed. I bent the brake plate because of it I don't know how many times. Plus, it didn't last any longer than the LSR carrier I had before it, so I went back to a LSR carrier just so I wouldn't have to worry about bending the damn brake plate anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn Cam, I'll never forget that Picasso...Did you end up ruinning your Axle?

I got some feedback a while back regarding using a tappered carrier but I decided against it. IMO it seems as they need much more attention to keep them going. I understand that they can take lots more side load then the twin rows, but I don't really care to take them apart to replace bearings more often then a twin row. I also was told that the correct amount of torque on the nut needs to always be dialed in or else they won't function properly, plus they're more expensive.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (CADWELL @ Feb 22 2009, 09:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749300
IMO it seems as they need much more attention to keep them going. I understand that they can take lots more side load then the twin rows, but I don't really care to take them apart to replace bearings more often then a twin row. I also was told that the correct amount of torque on the nut needs to always be dialed in or else they won't function properly, plus they're more expensive.[/b]
You are correct.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (Sidewinder @ Feb 22 2009, 10:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749325
Yep, 3 month old axle down the drain. All it is now is a metal shaft with threads, splines, and grooves.[/b]
That sucks Cam. Did you call RPM to see if they can do anythong with it?

Maybe they can fill it in and then run a lathe over it to make it true again...just a thought.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts