YFZ Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum and sport quads, so please excuse me if I have a few things mixed up. I have a 2005 YFZ 450 that I need some Jetting info on. it has a fair amount of work done to it, mostly by the previous owner. It has a Yoshimura pipe, pro design intake with K&N filter and no air box lid. It also has a fully rebuilt engine, with a decked head. I don't Believe there are any bigger cams in it, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I am in the process of breaking it in from the rebuild currently, and noticed that it seems to run on the lean side. it backfires a ton, and then shuts off some of the time. I figured I would stop and diagnose the problem before finishing the break in of course. I pulled the jets out to see if they were too small and they were actually pretty big. it has a 175 main and a 50 pilot. (according to RockyMountainATV/MC.com the original jets are a 42 pilot and 158 main) I then pulled the plug, and it looked pretty white. I had the air/fuel screw at 2 1/2 out and brought it to 3 1/4 with no change. I am now stumped because those seem to be some pretty big jets, and it is still running lean? It now won't start after trying to warm it up. I don't want to bring it into the shop AGAIN if I can fix it myself. all the information I have on it for a previous setup is that it had a "Ron Wood" intake with a UNI filter that was rubbing the air box, and seemed to have got a little hot judging by the flat spot on the filter. So I replaced it with a OE breather tube going to the air box, and a K&N filter with a pro design adapter. I was told to spray some carb cleaner/brake clean on the intake boot and exhaust to see if it would rev up. It did not. I have not checked the needle position, but I figured it would start and run. any help is appreciated, and I have included a few pictures if it helps. Thank you!
Hand Finger Nail Thumb Household hardware
Hood Grille Light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive tire
Gas Cylinder Drink Font Concrete
Wood Gas Hardwood Auto part Metal

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I ran a 172-178MJ (depending on temp), 48 pilot, and the 4th position on the NCQV needle with a Ron Woods intake on a 2004 YFZ before the FCI was released, so you're likely close depending on your needle brand and setting. Jetting is trail and error, you just have to set a date and time for it and make one adjustment at a time to get it dialed in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran a 172-178MJ (depending on temp), 48 pilot, and the 4th position on the NCQV needle with a Ron Woods intake on a 2004 YFZ before the FCI was released, so you're likely close depending on your needle brand and setting. Jetting is trail and error, you just have to set a date and time for it and make one adjustment at a time to get it dialed in.
Ok awesome, thank you. I don’t have the Ron Woods intake on it right now because I had thought that because of the filter rubbing the air box it burnt and made a flat spot in the filter. (somehow) it probably wasn’t the case, but I didn’t think about it and had an old breather. Does the Ron Wood intake seem to make much of a difference over stock with a K&N?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Ok awesome, thank you. I don’t have the Ron Woods intake on it right now because I had thought that because of the filter rubbing the air box it burnt and made a flat spot in the filter. (somehow) it probably wasn’t the case, but I didn’t think about it and had an old breather. Does the Ron Wood intake seem to make much of a difference over stock with a K&N?

I had the Ron Woods that utilized the stock air box w/o lid and it was a noticeable low-mid range gain over the ProFlow. I think you'll see the difference re-installing the Ron Woods with a new filter and outerwear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts