YFZ Central banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd really like to hear a technical explanation as well. All I know is the guy who built the engine said 94 octane minimum and ethanol free so I just listen. Lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'd really like to hear a technical explanation as well. All I know is the guy who built the engine said 94 octane minimum and ethanol free so I just listen. Lol.
Exactly, I think lots of people just run premium because people say to and its barely more expensive, when in reality there may or may not be a big difference between the 2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since there are alot of stupid people on here like yfzgambler i will pipe in. Octane is the resistance for the fuel to ignite prematurely do to the compression in the cylinder. Generally its the higher the compression ratio the higher the octane rating needed. Running a lower octane, the fuel to ignite too soon. A common sign of this is a pining noise that can be heard. Ride it like that the piston can and will self destruct. Worst case senerio when something like that happens is the motor is basically toast. The shrapnal from the piston takes out the whole motor. Valves top and bottom end. A 400 ex has a compression ratio of 9 to 1. Thats right on the edge of 87 octanes limits. The Yfz motor is 11.5 to one to 12.4 to one depending on the year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Since there are alot of stupid people on here like yfzgambler i will pipe in. Octane is the resistance for the fuel to ignite prematurely do to the compression in the cylinder. Generally its the higher the compression ratio the higher the octane rating needed. Running a lower octane, the fuel to ignite too soon. A common sign of this is a pining noise that can be heard. Ride it like that the piston can and will self destruct. Worst case senerio when something like that happens is the motor is basically toast. The shrapnal from the piston takes out the whole motor. Valves top and bottom end. A 400 ex has a compression ratio of 9 to 1. Thats right on the edge of 87 octanes limits. The Yfz motor is 11.5 to one to 12.4 to one depending on the year.
Thank you for the explanation, this is the info I was looking for

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I run it because It’s ethanol free and that’s what the manufacturer says
Well I know the manufacture recommends it, but for all I knew they could be just recommending it because it maximizes performance. I've never had a problem with ethanol fuel, I had a lawn mower that sat for 8 years with a half a tank of ethanol fuel in it and after cleaning out the carb it fired right up with that same gas

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
114 Posts
Take from it what you will but here’s what Duncan Racing recommends....

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
114 Posts
That seems kinda ridiculous to have to run any amount of race gas in a stock 450
Yeah it seems pretty aggressive. I run 91-93 depending on what I find at whatever gas station I'm at at the time. Maybe you wont do any damage running 87 octane on your motor. I just wouldn't do it myself and wouldn't recommend it to anyone based on the troubles my buddy has had with his Sidewinder after running 87 octane. I'm kind of numb to paying for premium gas at this point because pretty much everything I put gas in "requires" it. I never look at it as the engines "requiring" higher octane for performance, rather they "require" it to prevent potential engine damage/failure. I'm also not a mechanic, or an engineer! :LOL:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah it seems pretty aggressive. I run 91-93 depending on what I find at whatever gas station I'm at at the time. Maybe you wont do any damage running 87 octane on your motor. I just wouldn't do it myself and wouldn't recommend it to anyone based on the troubles my buddy has had with his Sidewinder after running 87 octane. I'm kind of numb to paying for premium gas at this point because pretty much everything I put gas in "requires" it. I never look at it as the engines "requiring" higher octane for performance, rather they "require" it to prevent potential engine damage/failure. I'm also not a mechanic, or an engineer! :LOL:
I've never had any problems with it in anything, so I'll probably run it, and most likely it'll be fine, but if it hurts something for some reason, then I guess that means I get a new top end and ill just fork over tge extra cents for premium

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
114 Posts
I've never had any problems with it in anything, so I'll probably run it, and most likely it'll be fine, but if it hurts something for some reason, then I guess that means I get a new top end and ill just fork over tge extra cents for premium
And that's precisely why I don't buy used toys!:LOL::LOL:
Because you're probably right, you'll run it on 87 and have no known issues and the poor prick that buys it off of you some day is going to blow the motor after running it for an hour.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We have a gas station less than 5 minutes away in any direction, but I've actually never been to a gas station in my entire life.
Then fork over the extra 30 cents a gallon. You’ll save thousands in spare parts. I don’t see why your questioning everyone’s logic so much. I understand a little skepticism but there are reasons for different octanes. Imagine an F1 car on 87, it’ll blow up in seconds. That’s how a 450 is in a different time frame. It’s not a matter of if your motor blows it’s WHEN. I guarantee you that you will have to rebuild your top end within weeks of running it. It’ll pre-ignite too soon and it will blow up. If that is too big of an inconvenience for you, then is it really worth riding? If yes then fork over the money and 10 minutes of time to get gas!! Please! Why not go back to a 400ex if you can’t?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Then fork over the extra 30 cents a gallon. You’ll save thousands in spare parts. I don’t see why your questioning everyone’s logic so much. I understand a little skepticism but there are reasons for different octanes. Imagine an F1 car on 87, it’ll blow up in seconds. That’s how a 450 is in a different time frame. It’s not a matter of if your motor blows it’s WHEN. I guarantee you that you will have to rebuild your top end within weeks of running it. It’ll pre-ignite too soon and it will blow up. If that is too big of an inconvenience for you, then is it really worth riding? If yes then fork over the money and 10 minutes of time to get gas!! Please! Why not go back to a 400ex if you can’t?
Well I've actually decided to get a raptor 700 anyway, so this won't be a problem

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good decision, I forgot that they ran on 87. I still find it hard to believe that you haven’t been to a gas station though haha😂

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
This is like jerking off a sales guy at a car dealership back and forth bs price games, the handshake, go inside finance manager office, sir sign here... "Nah, the car is junk, im not signing anything... Keep the car. Later homie" and then walking out .

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
This is like jerking off a sales guy at a car dealership back and forth bs price games, the handshake, go inside finance manager office, sir sign here... "Nah, the car is junk, im not signing anything... Keep the car. Later homie" and then walking out .

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
That doesn't even make any sense

21 - 40 of 42 Posts