YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for my next 4 wheeler and I was pretty sold on a raptor 700, but I'm slowly leaning towards an 07 or 08 yfz now. (I can never make up my mind) I have been running regular 87 in my stock 400ex for years with zero issues. My buddies 05 yfz has a sticker on the tank that says never run below 91 octane. Is there a reason they say this, or is it just to ensure maximum performance? This is 100% a deal breaker if i can't run regular cheap 87 octane on stock compression.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Deal breaker. Wow !! talk about counting pennies on a 2 gallon+ tank. I thought i was the only one with weird threads. If u not in CALIFORNIA WHERE 91 GAS CAN BE AT 6 BUCKS A GALLON ON SOME REMOTE stations or in downtown LA TRIPLE WOW WITH JAW DROPPED

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
100% deal breaker? Damn man I know times are tough but let that girl drink from the high octane Hennessy not the bottle of ostrich urine u got from ur baby mamas ex Jody who got it from downtown on a marijuana deal that ended up being fake anyway!!!! Stay away from anything under 91 octane cheapskate and treat ur bike like a race bike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason its such a big deal to me is because my dads a farmer so we get fuel delivered to our house twice a month, and it would be a big inconvenience to go get different gas, I want to ride it like I stole it and not worry about getting 100 percent performance all the time

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if u don’t want to rebuild it every year I wouldn’t run anything below 91
I've had my 400ex for 3 or 4 years and never run anything but 87, and the original owner before me only ran 87 and its got a good amount of hours on it still on the original top end and shows no sign of losing power, so I don't see why its such a huge deal what gas you run

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
114 Posts
The reason its such a big deal to me is because my dads a farmer so we get fuel delivered to our house twice a month, and it would be a big inconvenience to go get different gas, I want to ride it like I stole it and not worry about getting 100 percent performance all the time
I just put 100 miles on my quad last weekend and it cost me LESS THAN $15 (hard to tell exactly because my buddy and I both filled up at the same time) in 91 octane and I was riding it like I stole it. If you filled a 5 gallon gas can with 91 octane it would cost you roughly $20.00 and last you roughly 200 miles. If you filled that same 5 gallon gas can with 87 octane you would pay $17.50 and would probably last less than 200 miles. So for shittier gas and at your motors overall expense you would be saving $2.50 every 200 miles. If you averaged 30 mph throughout that 200 miles this would mean 6.666 hours of riding. So for every 7 hours of ride time you would save $2.50...that's the cost of a RedBull!! I would much rather stop drinking RedBull than trash my YFZ's motor.
It drives me nuts what some people will do to save $0.10 to $0.50 a gallon. I have a buddy that our family rides snowmobiles with that was mixing 87 octane and 91 octane to save pennies and he's had some serious problems with his brand new Yamaha Sidewinder. Of course I'm not 100% sure that it's due to the gas he's using but I'm also not 100% sue it's NOT from the gas he's using. What I do know is that we have 2 of the exact same Sidewinders along with 2 older Apex's that have been run with 91 octane or higher for many years with no issues whatsoever.
That being said, if you're going to spend thousands, in my buddies case TENS of thousands on performance machines...for God's sake TAKE CARE OF THEM!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just put 100 miles on my quad last weekend and it cost me LESS THAN $15 (hard to tell exactly because my buddy and I both filled up at the same time) in 91 octane and I was riding it like I stole it. If you filled a 5 gallon gas can with 91 octane it would cost you roughly $20.00 and last you roughly 200 miles. If you filled that same 5 gallon gas can with 87 octane you would pay $17.50 and would probably last less than 200 miles. So for shittier gas and at your motors overall expense you would be saving $2.50 every 200 miles. If you averaged 30 mph throughout that 200 miles this would mean 6.666 hours of riding. So for every 7 hours of ride time you would save $2.50...that's the cost of a RedBull!! I would much rather stop drinking RedBull than trash my YFZ's motor.
It drives me nuts what some people will do to save $0.10 to $0.50 a gallon. I have a buddy that our family rides snowmobiles with that was mixing 87 octane and 91 octane to save pennies and he's had some serious problems with his brand new Yamaha Sidewinder. Of course I'm not 100% sure that it's due to the gas he's using but I'm also not 100% sue it's NOT from the gas he's using. What I do know is that we have 2 of the exact same Sidewinders along with 2 older Apex's that have been run with 91 octane or higher for many years with no issues whatsoever.
That being said, if you're going to spend thousands, in my buddies case TENS of thousands on performance machines...for God's sake TAKE CARE OF THEM!!!
I get what your saying, but its not the money its tge inconvenience

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
What inconvenience? People lazy these days or what?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just don't see how running 87 in a 450 would hurt it to the point of needing a top end every year, and not hurting my 400 at all, it don't make sense to me

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
No gas station nearby or what? U dont have like some 5 gallon jugs and some fuel stabilizer u can use. I mean common how inconvenient this can be? Ever heard of SHELL? CHEVRON? 76? ARCO? COSTCO? GAS CANS? Let me call my delivery guy. Hey bud bring a barrel of 91 octane. Ill pay it. Boom done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No gas station nearby or what? U dont have like some 5 gallon jugs and some fuel stabilizer u can use. I mean common how inconvenient this can be? Ever heard of SHELL? CHEVRON? 76? ARCO? COSTCO? GAS CANS? Let me call my delivery guy. Hey bud bring a barrel of 91 octane. Ill pay it. Boom done.

We have a gas station less than 5 minutes away in any direction, but I've actually never been to a gas station in my entire life.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to weed out everyone's opinions and hear the science i guess of why 87 is bad and 91 or 93 is better

1 - 20 of 42 Posts