YFZ Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rock :yfz I understand the cam mod is free...and you gain some power...im just funny this way but I dont like the idea of the decompression tab in the wrong spot..

so if you use the yz cam is it in the correct spot??

And what is the advantage to the web or hot cams?

please real answers. not the just do the cam mod cuz its cheap.... thanks

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
You can buy the YZ cam about $100 bucks the lobes, lift, and overall cam profile is exactly the same as the YFZ EX cam, but yes the decompression pin will be in the right spot with the YZ cam.

I have mine done with the mod for a long time now and hae the 13:1 piston and it starts great. but to each his own.

As far as aftermarket cams I don't really know. I talked to Elliott at Ron Woods and he said they have cams out but the YZ cams are already a very aggressive grind so their would only produce minimal gains.

The biggest thing about the aftermarket cams is probably gonna be where the power comes on, not how much power they actually make.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
if you feel like throwing away $100 get the YZ cam. I'll stick with the cam mod. mine starts up immediately 8)

Hotcams usually dont come with any kind of decompressor at all, i dont think they even have any cams out yet for the YFZ. There are webb cams out ... I am unsure if they have a decompressor.

aftermarket cams would be heavier than the stockers .... more rotating mass :nono

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by schwendi@Dec 14 2003, 11:48 AM

aftermarket cams would be heavier than the stockers .... more rotating mass :nono
Not arguing and really don't care, but why?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Yamaha spent a lot of time lightening up these motors ... look at your cams next time you have the cam cover off ... They are hollow. Hotcams are pretty heavy ... ive never actually examined a webb cam

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I just looked up web cams options for the YZF450F ... they dont have anything listed for the YFZ yet ...

Grind 297/192 - Torque profile designed to bolt into a stock engine. Excellent throttle response. Hardwelded for extra durability. Profile maintains stock compression release.

Grind 187/187+5 - Race profile designed to increase mid and upper end performance. Spring Kit recimmended. Hardwelded for extra durability.

looks like they advanced the race cams 5 degrees

http://www.webcamshafts.com/yamaha-moto.html#9

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by schwendi@Dec 14 2003, 12:48 PM
if you feel like throwing away $100 get the YZ cam. I'll stick with the cam mod. mine starts up immediately 8)

I dont mind spending 100 bonz knowing that it is absolutly correct...and that way if somtihng ever came up in the future I know I could eliminate that right off because it was correct....and 100 bonz is a lot better deal than the 375? that web or hot wants

this is good info ....we are talking about the exahust cam right so is the other one identical to the yz also??

because the web cams comes with both....I know we are talking stock parts vs after market I just dont know what web cams are doing exactly

so far I think the stock yz cam will be my route

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
The intake cams are exactly the same on the YFZ and the YZ.

As far as aftermarket like I said I dunno.

I can't say don't buy the YZ cam but there really is no difference. The decompression pin does not realy cause a problem. There were a few noted problems early with these bikes but I have to say that I think most of these were due to jetting problems and not the cam mod.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The WR intake cam and the YFZ intake cam are the same. I can say that I did the cam mod and my bike ran harder than with stock YFZ cam timing. But, when I did the YZ exhaust cam I felt like it ran harder than the cam mod setup. Bob at Magnolia told me that he talked to his engine builder and the YZ exhaust cam may have the same lift and duration as the YFZ cam but something about the YZ exhaust cam made it run harder than the YFZ. Maybe I am just fooling myself but I was one of the first to do the YZ exhaust cam and I am happy I did it.
Isaac

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the input ...so is the yz cam what year ??? just order one for a 2004??

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Yeah 2004

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm just curious about all the stories of people buying the YZ cam and not being able to start their quad. I've heard none of that from the people who just did the free mod. I'm like wood4you in that I would really rather spend the 120 bucks for the YZ cam to know its right but I don't want to have any issues starting the quad when the cam mod is free and doesn't cause that. So I'm still in a quandry about whether to worry about it at all.

Scott

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
something else to consider about cams if you're considering webb, hot cams, ron wood, etc.. this si from another post I wrote discussing why it may not be worth while $$$$ wise to do the cams......

Reason being is that the cams cannot have a much more aggressive lobe (taller/wider) than stock because the lobe is already contacting the bucket at it's outter edge, any real increase in the lobe will cause the lobe to rotate into the side of the bucket and dig into it, instead of rotating on the top surface. Hot cams, web, and Ron Wood Racing all offer cams right now, but spec wise they are not much more aggressive than stock ones. There is room for improvement, but not much - I'm just not sure that it's worth the cost. Just my .02.

Just food for thought......

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Nils, exactly what I have said and been thinking. Not worth the $$$ for the gains.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by SoonerYFZ@Dec 16 2003, 11:47 AM
I'm just curious about all the stories of people buying the YZ cam and not being able to start their quad. I've heard none of that from the people who just did the free mod. I'm like wood4you in that I would really rather spend the 120 bucks for the YZ cam to know its right but I don't want to have any issues starting the quad when the cam mod is free and doesn't cause that. So I'm still in a quandry about whether to worry about it at all.

Scott
I havent heard that yet ..you would think that putting in a cam that has the correct decompression tab that it wouldnt change how it started.....lots of things to think about here perhaps some one was having probs starting before and it was a simple jetting issue...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts