YFZ Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hear u guys talking about this cam mod and im kinda new at this stuff, is there anyone that can either tell me or give me link on how to do this?
:rock

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
This mod is great! You can go to the Home page and click on Reviews. Then scroll down to Tech and it will show you some pics. Click on the pic and then expand it. This will allow you to read the instructions.
Good Luck!

If you have any questions, just ask!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I don't really even know why we have a search engine on here or why I took the time to write that very informative post that I made a sticky in the lounge?????

Here...

http://yfzcentral.com/cammod.htm

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is this mod easy 2 do cuz it doesnt seem that simple from the directions on yfzcentral?

·
Registered
556 Posts
It requires some basic mechanical skills, but overall it's not bad. Just make sure you have a torque wrench. You don't want to tighten those cam journals by "feel".

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
If you understand what is being described in the cam mod instructions and have good mechanical abilities, then it is not that difficult.
If you think the cam mod is to hard to do or if you do not feel comfortable with it, then do not attempt it. You can seriously damage your engine if not done correctly.
However, with that being said, it really is not as difficult as it sounds. You must be patient! Read the instructions completely through several times before starting the mod. This will make it easier and help to prevent any mistakes.
Once again, if you do not feel comfortable doing this then get spend the money to get it done. It is cheaper than rebuilding your engine.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Like said above, if it sounds hard to you then its hard and you may not should attempt it cause it can cause some major damage to your new $7K quad.

But with that disclaimer, I say what the hell do it, if you can jet this bike you can do the cam mod.

I can do the mod, pull the baffle, remove the lid and jet the bikes in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
479 Posts
anyone in ny do the mod? i'd like someone to do it for me......

·
Registered
576 Posts
Doesn't the cam journal bolt require 7.5 lbs of torque? That isn't much at all... I can see the importance of not overtightening it but I can't imagine someone not getting it tight enough without a torque wrench. Maybe I just don't understand the full picture but when i saw that they only needed 7.5 I didn't use a torque wrench I just just tightened it with a regular socket wrench and held it as close to the socket as I could, then tightened it till I couldn't tighten it any more. Since I cut out most of the leverage from "choking up" on the wrench I didn't strip or break the bolts. If there is a serious reason why it must be 7.5 lbs of torque... no more and no less... I'd like to hear it so I can do it properly.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Well the head is alluminum so if you were to overtighten the bolts, now not my 1 lb but really tighten them I could see the cams putting too much pressure on the journals and maybe scoring them or actually wearing down the journal itself.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You would really have to reef on it to cause any damage. I didn't use a torque wrench when I did mine and I sleep just fine.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I can't really understand this sometimes.... people put thousands of dollars into mods for an already expensive vehicle, but they won't spend the 50 dollars on a torque wrench.

:what

·
Registered
100 Posts
true that id rather just buy the proper tools ....it would suck to have to buy new cam caps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts