YFZ Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I do the cam mod on my YFZ450 tommarow... I need to know which bolts have to be tightened to 7.5 ft. lbs???? Just the cam journal bolts and the 2 alen head bolts...... or just the cam journal bolts??? How would you tighten the two allen head bolts to 7.5 ft. lbs??? I know I can do the actual bolts on the cam journals...... but how can you torque an alen head..... do I have to go out and buy an adaptor for my torque wrench or something???? Thanx in advanced!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yep, cylinder head cover bolts (2) need to be torqued to 10 Nm (7.2 ft/lbs) same as the (10) Camshaft cap bolts.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by YFZFoFiddy@Jan 1 2004, 02:45 PM
Yep, cylinder head cover bolts (2) need to be torqued to 10 Nm (7.2 ft/lbs) same as the (10) Camshaft cap bolts.
Where would you find something to adapt the alen head to the torque wrench??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try your local tool store for an Allen Head Socket. In a pinch you could just take a hacksaw to a spare allen wrench and insert the straight piece into an appropriately sized 6 point socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Those socket allen heads are cool, and cutting one and sticking it in a socket works, but really for the cover you don't have to torque those, it says to but you ani't gonna hurt anything if you just get them as tight as the were when you took them off by feel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pahrump,

Very true... but...

When I was a kid I knew this guy who was notorious for tightening things too tight. He stripped more threads than I care to remember! :O We adopted a new term in honor of him: Tracey-Tight.

To tighten something "Tracey-Tight" you keep wrenching on it until it gets loose and then back off a quarter turn. :blah

BTW... Sears sells Allen Head Sockets. :lol

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, what kind of extentions will I need??? Is a 6'' and a 4'' all I will need?? Thanx... you guys have been more than helpfull!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts