YFZ Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, does the Cam Mod affect the life of your motor. I can not see free horsepower not costing you in the long run. I have researched it, but nobody talks about if the longevity will be sacraficed. I do understand that it's new and it will take a while to find out. What are the Guru's opinions?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well im certianly not a guru........but here is my opnion

I did the cam mod.......actually i bought the YZ cam, timing is spot on,,,,,,jetting is 175 main, stock needle 4th clip, air box lid off, 2.5 turns out on the air screw, 45 pilot......BTW im at 7000' ft,,,,,,,no matter what i try its ...still hard to start.......even with the idle up and the 48 pilot in.......starts real hard,,,,,,cranks and cranks then with a little throttle it fires up. When it is running its great and pulls hard,,,,,,,,,but i hate cranking on the thing so tomorrow i will pull the cam out and put the stock one back in. :re

·
Registered
479 Posts
dam... anyone else?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I did the cam mod and have had zero problems with it. Starts just fine. I'm at around a 1000', jetting is 170 main, 45 pilot, gyt-r needle on the fourth clip & 2 1/2 turns out on the air mix screw. I guess I'll see how good it really starts when I get my kicker and a higher compression piston but even then I don't see a problem. Just my $0.02. :sonic

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Given the same matinence and riding do you think the YZ or the YFZ motor will last longer?

Should last the same, therefor with the cam mod you are not hurting the engine at all. All you are doing is changing the timing of the valves opening.

CBW you want to sell that YZ cam?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Feb 2 2004, 11:21 AM

CBW you want to sell that YZ cam?
Well i talked to bob at Magnolia and he had a few suggestions for me to try,,,,,,,,,,after that,,,,,,, well see how it starts. If it works like his does ,,,,,,,,it will be staying in there :rock

·
Registered
100 Posts
i also did tyhe cam mod i have stock jetting havent tuched a thing only had to turn my idle up a little but i like it alot better

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by CBW@Feb 2 2004, 02:05 PM

Well i talked to bob at Magnolia and he had a few suggestions for me to try,,,,,,,,,,after that,,,,,,, well see how it starts. If it works like his does ,,,,,,,,it will be staying in there :rock
cool...let me know

But I don't see why it won't work great, so I won't get my hopes up.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I turned my air screw out 3 turns instead of 2.5 and it starts up great now. I know it may seem like a lot but remember im at 7000' :O

so i guess i will be keping my "cam mod" in tact :lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey CBW.... What kind of orange paint is that on your heat shield?? Does it stay the same color, or does it burn off?

The only exhaust paint I've found is always black.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by Tuna@Feb 2 2004, 09:06 PM
Hey CBW.... What kind of orange paint is that on your heat shield?? Does it stay the same color, or does it burn off?

I'm not CBW but I know that is PC'ed not painted. So therefor it WILL stay that color.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I did the cam mod on mine last week. I also did the UM airbox w/ k&n, and alba exhaust. My jetting is 170 main, 45 pilot, 4th clip on ncvq needle, and 2 turns on the air screw. Starts right up, and pulls like a freight train to the limiter in every gear. :rock

·
Registered
321 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump+Feb 2 2004, 09:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pahrump @ Feb 2 2004, 09:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Tuna@Feb 2 2004, 09:06 PM
Hey CBW.... What kind of orange paint is that on your heat shield??  Does it stay the same color, or does it burn off?

I'm not CBW but I know that is PC'ed not painted. So therefor it WILL stay that color. [/b][/quote]
True it is PC...all my stuff is pc'ed,,,,,,even the headpipe.........however with this particular color im afraid that when the exhaust gets to full riding temp i think it will turn darker .....time will tell. I can always change the color......or just re do it if it gets too dark 8)

·
Registered
122 Posts
very cool!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts