YFZ Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone can tell if any off-the-shelf engine oil meets the YFZ450's recommendations.

The manual says the oil should meet API SE, SF, SG, or higher. It must NOT meet the diesel specification of "CD" and must not be "Energy Conserving II".

It was unclear to me when reading it, but it also says not to use an oil of a higher quality than specified (above). Does this mean you shouldn't use API "SH" oils?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just go to a dealership and get the oil they have there.. or just get yamalube!

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you stick to an oil that is made specifically for motorcycles\ATV's, then you should be fine. I just wouldn't go buy regular motor oil from an auto parts store. Bel Ray, Yamalube, Maxima, etc.

·
Registered
983 Posts
i may catch some flack for this but i use Gn4 from Honda for my YFZ. i always been happy with it for my CRF450 and cant find a reason why it wouldnt perform well for my Yamaha. besides, this way i only have to buy one kind of oil for both bikes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
don't worry "seatec"....you're not the only one with both red and blue in the garage.....I too am using GN4 and HP4 "Honda Oil" in my YFZ. I've had good luck with it and for simplicity, it's nice to use the same oil in both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts