YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im building a big table top at my track and was wondering if there is something I can use to put under the dirt so I dont have to use as much dirt, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I hope someone has a good answer. I'm doing the same thing and would like to know as well!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I dont see why you wouldn't put just about any thing under it as long as its good and barried. concrete big rocks what ever just make sure you still have a few feet of dirt over it. We used alot of rock and busted up concrete under ours seams to work dine just gota make sure its away from any where you can wear through and end up digging it out.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Yea, that's pretty much along the lines I was thinking, I wasn't sure if there was anything that was a common practice or like you said, whatever you have to throw under there.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Go to a fairly large junk yard and see what they got. Get a vehicle with a flat top. Anything thats basically a station wagon is good. You might need to do something to secure the windows. The dirts pressure could pop them over time.

100 or 200 bucks for a busted car might seem like a lot. But thank about the cost of a dump truck load of dirt. Im sure that car could take the place of 1 or 2 truck loads.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
yeah we made a ncie table top out of an old car before, then we added the dirt after we jumped it till the roof caved it. my parents still havent forgave me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cars are good, when i worked at the Navy Moto X (basically a XGAMES with every moto event) They used the big stoage boxes, you know the ones that go on trains and stuff. We call the konex boxes, also used to make the tunnels under finish jumps to get into the infield of a track. Look for an old abandond<<sp/ch, one and hire a flat bed tow truck to move it, just another suggestion.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
LOL, I think a double decker bus would be perfect! :mhihi:
I don't know if any of you guys have been to Red Buds track up in Michigan, but some of their jumps have large underground pipes running under them for walkways, they're about 6-7' tall. That would be what I would really like but I have no idea where to get them and I don't think I want to know how much they cost!

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Now that I read the topic again, SURFSD's comment on the railroad boxes is awesome. That's another thing that would be great to have but price is probably too crazy as well if I could find any.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I checked in to culverts when I was building my track. They are pretty expensive, at least they were. Junk cars is probably your cheapest route. Rail road ties are usually pretty expensive to, but then again dirt is too. Last time I got dirt hauled, a tri axle full to my house (4miles from the pit) was $120.00. And when building a track you need alot of tri axle loads!

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
QUOTE (82SOCOM @ Feb 26 2009, 03:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751301
I checked in to culverts when I was building my track. They are pretty expensive, at least they were. Junk cars is probably your cheapest route. Rail road ties are usually pretty expensive to, but then again dirt is too. Last time I got dirt hauled, a tri axle full to my house (4miles from the pit) was $120.00. And when building a track you need alot of tri axle loads![/b]
The nice thing about where I'm building the track is that there is about 4 acres or so of land next to it (the track sits on 4 acres itself). I was just going to push dirt from an acre of the non-track area for the extra dirt that I will need. I can't use all 4 acres of land for dirt since most of my landscaping equipment is stored on that half but I think 1 acre should be plenty for jumps, I was just hoping there might be an easier and cheap way to get jumps in.
Do you remember how much culverts were when you were checking prices?

Man, I'm sorry 2004yfzrider05, LOL, I've pretty much hijacked your whole topic and ran with it. I hope your finding all this info helpful too. My bad man! :icon_bolt:

·
Registered
736 Posts
The huge ones like you are talking about at redbud were like $1000.00 for a 40ft chunk( i don't really remember it was 5yrs ago or so). I seen them in the auto and rv. You can get alot of dirt if you have 4 acres to scrape around on. I only had a 2-1/2 acre track so eventually I had some dirt hauled in.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Yea, I'll probably be alright with what I have, but I think it would be pretty sweet to have some walkways under a couple of my big jumps. Unfortunately if you had them prices 5 years ago, I can just imagine they might be close to double that now. I guess I'll look into that soon and post something when I find out.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Get that beast built so I can start bringing you parts to pc every weekend! And then just stop and do some riding! :mhihi:

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
QUOTE (82SOCOM @ Feb 26 2009, 04:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751321
Get that beast built so I can start bringing you parts to pc every weekend! And then just stop and do some riding! :mhihi:[/b]
LOL, every part you have powder coated by me is worth 5 free laps! haha just kidding.

I plan on having it finished sometime mid-summer, but we all know how plans go, it was really supposed to be done last summer. I can always show you where the track is going when you stop by Saturday, it's going up real close to the neighborhood so you'll be nearby when your here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I suggest just using dirt, then when you want to change it or move things around you aren't screwing around with all the garbage in it. I don't know where you are but if you need dirt try calling the inground pool companies in your area and see if they are looking for a place to dump their fill. Usually they are looking to get rid of it as close as they can to their jobsite to cut down on trucking costs. It might just cost you a case of beer for 100 yards of dirt. I work for a pool company and we easily give away 250-300 yards a week.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts