YFZ Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i race, i will go into a turn and there will be little whoops right before the turn as you are braking and the quad starts bucking. What do i have to do to my rear suspension to stop this?

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
those are called braking bumps.... it depends on what the shock is doing..... is it packing or is it just rebounding really fast?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
try slowing down the rebound adjustment on the rear shock. If stock shocks are tuned properly you will not have this problem.

·
Registered
327 Posts
your shocks have settings, dont be afraid to USE THEM. track your changes and observations of the way the shock reacts. if you dont like it then youcan always go back.

I just found out what the preload does. it only changes the ride height on my elkas and it doesnt bottom out as much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
your shocks have settings, dont be afraid to USE THEM. track your changes and observations of the way the shock reacts. if you dont like it then youcan always go back.

I just found out what the preload does. it only changes the ride height on my elkas and it doesnt bottom out as much.[/b]
I agree with the settings, use them. However, unless I am badly mistaken preload can do much more than just change the ride height. True, at zero preload you are just altering the ride height. But, if I understand correctly, you could make out the ride height, but still keep adding preload. So at this point, the shock is fully extended (with no rider of course), but you can still add preload. I think I am correct, but I reserve the right to be wrong...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Regardless, in stock form the fronts and rear shocks are not made to take the abuse riders put on them. Get your ride height set where you like it, 1/2-3/4" lower than the front, have the compression set all the way soft, rebound set all the way fast, and go ride turning the rebound 1/4 turn at a time until it's where you like it. Then adjust your compression from there. Rebound affects compression, compression does not affect rebound. With the shock in stock form, you can not tell a difference in both extremes on the compression adjustment from all the way soft to all the way hard unless it is the new high/low speed shock anyways. The compression devices do not have that much adjustablility with where the valving is. On top of that, the valving is so generic that even if you fit the exact specifications of the "model rider" they were built for, the shocks still were not made to be maxed out nor last as long. The seal heads will start to leak and it isn't safe for the shock. Aftermarket shocks should be serviced around once every two years, and even more so than that the more you ride, so the stock shocks should be serviced even sooner. The owner's manual says to replace them, but there is nothing wrong with them besides the fact that they are just not valved or set-up to do this type of riding. This can be fixed... :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Gas over those, either brake before them or after them. When you brake in the bumps your suspension is going to get funky no matter what you got.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts