YFZ Central banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
I just run a line from the valve cover to the ground and from the case to the ground. It blows a little oil now and then when I run it hard but I just keep an eye on my oil level. Simple, easy, sano, done.

Never had a problem in 2 years.

·
Registered
761 Posts
what exactly is it that makes the LTR box better? Is it because it can fill up more before it overflows?
No, what makes it better is that the way it is designed the oil that is blown by is put into the box and then cycled back into the engine. The box contains a hose at the bottom that goes back into the casing on the engine. the vent is at the very top of the box so that no oil is in danger of being lost out of it. See this way you never lose any oil due to blowby. The oil makes its way back into the engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No, what makes it better is that the way it is designed the oil that is blown by is put into the box and then cycled back into the engine. The box contains a hose at the bottom that goes back into the casing on the engine. the vent is at the very top of the box so that no oil is in danger of being lost out of it. See this way you never lose any oil due to blowby. The oil makes its way back into the engine.

just dawned on me what the breather box essentially is, has anyone installed a miniature automotive catch can instead of the LTR style? this way you can gauge the amount of blow by, by being able to measure the amount of oil passing through.

I've built custom ones on my supercharged Sea Doo's for less than $20

I might build one for my quad, in a scaled down version.

here is the example from the PWC world

·
Registered
27 Posts
also other options is from the kart world... they use small catch cans available in aluminum and semi-opaque plastic boxes to visually see captured oil levels...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its not really a catch can the LTR box drains back into the case

same concept only gravity drained back into case, correct?

here's one from the karting world.

you can plumb the drain back into the case if you feel the need to keep the oil within the motor at all times

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
If it drains back into the case why try and make something you can look into. I see what your saying though you can make something a little better looking and more compact than the LTR box.

·
Registered
27 Posts
just listing more options than the LTR box for about the same price, everyone likes options right?:lol

personally i like to see the amount of oil blow by after rides and trips, helps me to keep track, and make sure the blow by isn't worsening.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was also thinking about a catch can. I like the clear can to see if you are getting blow by. I'd mount it so the fittings were on the left side. The top fitting would be the valve cover vent and the bottom the return to crank case.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just run a line from the valve cover to the ground and from the case to the ground. It blows a little oil now and then when I run it hard but I just keep an eye on my oil level. Simple, easy, sano, done.

Never had a problem in 2 years.

This is what I did as well. I don't get a ton of blow by tho, like you said. I guess it's a good thing, just make sure she's good on oil an ride her.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I just put my FCI on with no air box, I purchased a LTR box with the intent of putting it on but after seeing how big and ugly it is I decided to just stick with my stock box. I just zip tied the box to the sub frame in the same spot it was stock ( I may make a bracket if it doesn't hold but seems solid) then ran a line up and put a little filter on it sits right next to my FCI filter under the seat.
Hey brother did that work? I was thinking about doing that too. Im like you, I think the LTR box is ugly

·
Registered
752 Posts
I just put my FCI on with no air box, I purchased a LTR box with the intent of putting it on but after seeing how big and ugly it is I decided to just stick with my stock box. I just zip tied the box to the sub frame in the same spot it was stock ( I may make a bracket if it doesn't hold but seems solid) then ran a line up and put a little filter on it sits right next to my FCI filter under the seat.[/QUOT

Do u have a picture

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I just put my FCI on with no air box, I purchased a LTR box with the intent of putting it on but after seeing how big and ugly it is I decided to just stick with my stock box. I just zip tied the box to the sub frame in the same spot it was stock ( I may make a bracket if it doesn't hold but seems solid) then ran a line up and put a little filter on it sits right next to my FCI filter under the seat.[/QUOT

Do u have a picture
Seems to work, I have only been on one short ride nothing on the filter so it seems good, I will try and post a few pictures up in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

Do u have a picture

Here are the pictures of how I did mine.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Here are the pictures of how I did mine.

Looks very nice. Thanks for posting the picture. What kind of filter is that and where did you get it? Does if interfere with putting the seat on?I looked at all the auto parts stores around my hose and could not find one:what

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have tried to explain how mine is set up so many times that it just isnt making sense until I quit being too lazy to take pictures. But it is the same concept as the LTR box.

You put the little plastic tee on top of the crank case with the vent hose end pointing straight up. Then the hose runs up over the top of the throttle body.

So obviously because of gravity the oil that comes from the valve cover drains downwards back into the crank case. There are no boxes or filters mounted anywhere.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Constable I got it from my local Autozone not sure what kind it is sorry.
Thanks brother all the autozones near me fidnt have it.. I got a little k&n filter thats fits in a 1/2 tube at a mom&pop atv service place

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just put my FCI on with no air box, I purchased a LTR box with the intent of putting it on but after seeing how big and ugly it is I decided to just stick with my stock box. I just zip tied the box to the sub frame in the same spot it was stock ( I may make a bracket if it doesn't hold but seems solid) then ran a line up and put a little filter on it sits right next to my FCI filter under the seat.
How well has this held up?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts