YFZ Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been browsing around the forum looking at different shock threads trying to make a decision on what to do for shocks for my quad.
2007 YFZ450. All stock

I am going to start setting it up for a little XC racing, but I am not going to be competitive at this point. I will do some off road parks, dunes and maybe even MX track a time or to.

I am not going to spend 3k on shocks. I am leading towards being in the 1k range for shocks. From what I can see my options are a BNR revalve or legacy series by elka.

I am not seeing many positive comments on the legacy series shocks, but I am going to assume re-valving a stock shock will have it's restrictions as well..

When I was more serious I ran Ohlins on my 250r but that has been at least 10 years and I am not going to ride like I use to.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In my opinion, you'll be further ahead going the BNR route. Prior to getting my current setup, BNR revalved/resprung my factory suspension and it was night and day over stock. Easy, friendly customer service too. I've never run the Legacy shocks myself, but I know a few that have and they were all disappointed with their performance versus the money spent. Again, my opinion.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
The non-efi shocks aren't as good when revalved/sprung as the efi shocks. Maybe you can look and find used efi shocks and ghetto rig them on? Revalved efi shocks are pretty good

·
Super Moderator
3,975 Posts
Can he get different a arms and then he can run the efi shocks? I guess he could call BNR and they can tell him if it will work?

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you're interested I have a brand new set of never used EFI shocks. Not sure what they are worth.

My advice might seem misguided given the above, but I would not go with the Legacy shocks personally.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I have been browsing around the forum looking at different shock threads trying to make a decision on what to do for shocks for my quad.
2007 YFZ450. All stock

I am going to start setting it up for a little XC racing, but I am not going to be competitive at this point. I will do some off road parks, dunes and maybe even MX track a time or to.

I am not going to spend 3k on shocks. I am leading towards being in the 1k range for shocks. From what I can see my options are a BNR revalve or legacy series by elka.

I am not seeing many positive comments on the legacy series shocks, but I am going to assume re-valving a stock shock will have it's restrictions as well..

When I was more serious I ran Ohlins on my 250r but that has been at least 10 years and I am not going to ride like I use to.

Any help appreciated.

Elka Legacy VS Revalves ?
Winner: Elka

The legacy series is the same steel body shock that people gladly spent $2500 for years ago, but Elka lowered the retail price to 999$ to cater to recreational riders in order to drive up more business. They're still built around your application just like the Stage 4 & 5 without all the bells and whistles. (LT & ST setups doesn't change the price)

KB Motorsports
270-774-1982

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're interested I have a brand new set of never used EFI shocks. Not sure what they are worth.

My advice might seem misguided given the above, but I would not go with the Legacy shocks personally.
For some reason I think I can use those shocks with EFI arms, but I'm not positive. This may be a option as well..

I think I just need to do some more research and figure out what direction to do. I don't want to get so wide that I cannot compete in GNCC type events. I also just don't know if it makes a lot of sense to spend this kind of money on the quad when I could just spend more and get a newer 450x that may have better shocks etc etc..

I know I could easily get my money back on this quad if I decided to go that direction.

I bought this one because it was barely ridden, it was like new, stock tires and everything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thinking about just throwing in the towel and going all out, new stage 3 shocks, long travel and new houser arms..

By the time you put together any other combination and get shocks rebuilt it starts adding up as well. At some point it's worth paying the difference and just having what I want.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thinking about just throwing in the towel and going all out, new stage 3 shocks, long travel and new houser arms..

By the time you put together any other combination and get shocks rebuilt it starts adding up as well. At some point it's worth paying the difference and just having what I want.
Man, I just sold a front stage 5 setup with Houser long travels 2 hrs ago. Unless you're hurting for them, look around, you'll find a good used setup for half the cost of new.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,815 Posts

You will not regret upgrading the suspension.

Houser Suspension Package(s)
270-774-1982

1 - 10 of 10 Posts