YFZ Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am new here because I just recently got an 06 yfz. I wanted to wake it up because it doesn't quite hit the spot like my 450 bikes would. I haven't tinkered with 4 strokes much so I'm kinda new to them (mechanically). I did the zip tie mod and started riding and noticed it popped a lot and shot flames out the exhaust so I did research and got a GYTR jet kit. It had a 45p 165m and #3 (on GYTR needle) and I lost count on the fuel screw. I took it up to a 168p #4 on GYTR needle and 2 turns out (like jetting sticky suggests to start). I also threw on a GYTR hi flow filter (similar to k&n) with the adapter plate and pre filter and took air box lid off. It also had the GYTR pipe when I got it. It still pops and shoots blue flames about 2-3 feet out but it only happens when I hit the gas after I have let off. Does it at all rpms. Could someone point me in the right direction? I ride between 400-500' elevation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just curious, what makes you think I'm too rich? I was thinking about trying richer on the jets since I did make a significant change to the airbox by putting a hi flow paper filter AND removing the lid and went with the recommended settings for a yfz with a pipe and no lid. But I don't know how the GYTR compares to aftermarket pipes, if its good enough to stick with the jetting suggested for piped yfz's

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can have a lean pop and a rich pop. A lean pop sounds more like a machine gun. A rich pop is one or two deep tone pops.

The fact that you have flames coming out of the exhaust indicates not all the gas is burning up in the jug. It is combusting in the pipe and shooting out as flames.

With your elevation and the mods you have done, the main and pilot are in the ballpark. The needle impacts your mix from ¼ up to wide open throttle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can have a lean pop and a rich pop. A lean pop sounds more like a machine gun. A rich pop is one or two deep tone pops.

The fact that you have flames coming out of the exhaust indicates not all the gas is burning up in the jug. It is combusting in the pipe and shooting out as flames.

With your elevation and the mods you have done, the main and pilot are in the ballpark. The needle impacts your mix from ¼ up to wide open throttle.
I did some more digging on the forum today and I found a thread where people listed their mods elevation and temperature and what jetting they are running for it. I found 2 people with nearly identical everything with my quad and elevation and they both are running a 165m 45p #3 GYTR clip and 2-2.25 turns out. That is consistent with what you are telling me so it sounds like I'm close but too rich. I will probably swap to the 165m and #3 on needle in the next day or 2 and see how that does. Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
3,149 Posts
You should make one change at a time, that way you will know what the change affected. I would do 3rd clip first and see what that does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.