YFZ Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long post but I need some input here. so I just recently got a 2008 yfz450 from a buddy for 1500 and I thought It was a pretty decent deal because I also got another 4 wheeler with it now they both ran but needed work and I like to tinker with things so I figured it wasn’t too big of a deal, got the 450 home and noticed the air box was not Hooked on to the carb and it was pretty dirty so it was probably sucking in a lot of dirt, so I cleaned that and put it back together then I checked the oil filter and I noticed it had a lot of shavings in it so I started checking other things out and I found the front cam chain guide was broken and the sides of it were chewed up which was letting the chain hit on the side of the case causing the metal shavings In the oil filter, anyway I get the parts and go to replace it and I noticed a wear spot in my cylinder which I’m Pretty sure was through the coating but it didn’t feel very bad so I was not too concerned because I figured I would replace it a little later down the road but I got everything replaced and back together and it started fine idled fine and drove good then I noticed a little bit of smoke coming from the exhaust at higher rpms and I figured that was just from the wear spot in my cylinder burning some oil didn’t think to much of it because it wasn’t very much and not constant just when I would idle and rev a bit also like I said was gonna replace it later on but I cruised it for about a week and it was doing fine but one day I was cruising not really going fast at first then I turned and started giving it some throttle then out of nowhere it sounded like the cam chain broke and got bunched up or something but It didn’t sound good at all. So I get it home get it taken apart and find that the piston broke off the rod and the rod spun around and broke the countershaft, busted a hole in the case, broke a piece off the cylinder and even somehow broke the rod off of the whole crank, it doesn’t look like its gonna be very fun. Now my questions are why would it do that ? The wrist pin and piston didn’t look like they had lack of oil so I’m not sure maybe just wear and was bound to happen sometime? and also should I just try to sell it how it is and get some money back out of it or would it be worth it to rebuild it for another 1000 to 1500 maybe even more

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my experience id go and make a list of the parts you would need to rebuild it and start pricing all of it out and see if its worth you're money and 2 if also you like the way it rides more on a personal level like is it worth you're time to do all the repair but it all depends right if you see it unfit to get fix sell it and try to get some money back or if you see that it might be worth it to fix it do it all up to you really

1 - 2 of 2 Posts