YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know there was some talk a while back about the starting problems and some were saying somthing about a bigger battery..
has anyone figured out a cure to the starting problems? everytime i go ride now, it will not start, then the battery just goes dead and even if you roll start it and ride it forever it will not recharge itself..i can charge it with a charger and it will make it about a day, then do it all over agian..its realy starting to get me mad now, so im just wondering if anyone has found a cure to this..

thanks alot

·
Registered
77 Posts
same prob here 2...fucker wont hold a charge...and its starting 2 piss me off cause it leaves me stranded in the trails :angry

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
im not sure, but i read on here its a yuasa ytz10 and it has 125cold cranking amps, which is 45 better than stock. let me know what you get and the cost of it, please

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damnit, i get stranded everytime i go ride now.. im getting so pissed.. i guees im gonna have to see what the dealer says..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by brad c@Oct 9 2003, 01:26 AM
damnit, i get stranded everytime i go ride now.. im getting so pissed.. i guees im gonna have to see what the dealer says..
I am having the same problem except now it has not died since my race sat. morning. There is somebody taking it to the dealer on the other discussion board.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally posted by jbplays@Oct 9 2003, 12:40 AM
im not sure, but i read on here its a yuasa ytz10 and it has 125cold cranking amps, which is 45 better than stock. let me know what you get and the cost of it, please
that is the correct part#

as of a week or so ago they were on nationwide back order. they arent cheap...close to $100

we have modded the battery tray and cut some plastic and got a stock 400ex battery in it..and also a yt12abs (high cca) better price and will take care of the problems.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if i can buy a bigger battery and for sure fix this problem, then ill do that.. i just want a cure.. this getting stranded stuffs getting old fast..

so if i buy that 100 battery will it cure this problem for sure? if so im on it. i just dont want to waste the money and it still not start.

·
Registered
331 Posts
We have been working on the charging system for the YFZ to run our lighting sytems. The DC charging system on the YFZ is marginal. If you go riding and the fan runs and you use the brakes alot then you will have problems. Fan pulls 35 watt and brakes pull 21 watts (lights pull 65 watts).

Here is the solution ot the charging system problems:

1. Switch the brake lamp out for an LED lamp. The LED lamp will be brighter than stock and only draw one watt.
2. Clear the way for air into the radiator to keep the fan off - get rid of the stock lights, they block air flow (they are garbage anyhow).
3. Get a high energy flywheel to increase stator output by 2.5 times.

Contact Rick at trail tech and he can help you out.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Originally posted by PAPPY+Oct 8 2003, 07:41 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PAPPY @ Oct 8 2003, 07:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jbplays@Oct 9 2003, 12:40 AM
that is the correct part#

as of a week or so ago they were on nationwide back order. they arent cheap...close to $100

we have modded the battery tray and cut some plastic and got a stock 400ex battery in it..and also a yt12abs (high cca) better price and will take care of the problems. [/b][/quote]
undefined
how much did you have to cut? if its not a big deal then im up for that, but if you gotta cut the fender and put a new tray in that looks like homemade shit id rather spend the extra bucks and get the right part.
pappy,
switch to the good side (yfzcentral.com) and help us with your wizdom on a regular basis, please.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
hey guys.... let me know what the correct battery you need is.... i have many Yuasa batteries here in stock .... and im sure i can get it for you at much better than $100.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
YTZ10S is the part # that most closley fits the stock battery and tray and requires the least amount of modifacation to the plastic and battery holddown. YUASA'S list price is $107.00 but should be able to be obtained for $70 or so. the trouble with this part# is that they havent been out for very long and havent made it into the distribution channels yet. i had 200 of them on order and still havent recieved them :angry

the cheapest way is to use the stock 400ex battery...but like i said it requires heavy modifacation to your battery tray.

the yamaha (as posted) has a crappy charging system. id say when they set out and built this puppy they made it pretty well designed for mx....as extended riding and light usage leave's you sitting :| if i was a dune rider or raced alot of gncc's with the yammy id be getting the electrical system upgraded in a hurry.

ill stop by as often as i can...thanks :rock

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
thanks pappy for the good info....

my warehouse has 50+ of the YTZ10S in stock.... i can have them here next day....

they retail for $109.95
i can sell them to you guys for $75 each(already discounted).... however i believe they come without acid.....so you would have to run to your local shop to have them filled since i cant ship them with acid in them.....most shops including myself do not charge to fill a battery with acid since it costs very little at a local hardware store.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally posted by woodwardspecialties@Oct 9 2003, 08:16 PM
thanks pappy for the good info....

my warehouse has 50+ of the YTZ10S in stock.... i can have them here next day....

they retail for $109.95
i can sell them to you guys for $75 each(already discounted).... however i believe they come without acid.....so you would have to run to your local shop to have them filled since i cant ship them with acid in them.....most shops including myself do not charge to fill a battery with acid since it costs very little at a local hardware store.
all the newer types (ytx9bs yt12abs ytx10 etc) are all AGM...asborbed glass mat. they come with thier own acid pack included with the battery.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
YTZ10S is the part # that most closley fits the stock battery and tray and requires the least amount of modifacation to the plastic and battery holddown. YUASA'S list price is $107.00 but should be able to be obtained for $70 or so. the trouble with this part# is that they havent been out for very long and havent made it into the distribution channels yet. i had 200 of them on order and still havent recieved them
:what Will this battery last a hell of a lot longer than the stock battery?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally posted by YFZdream450@Oct 10 2003, 01:01 AM

:what Will this battery last a hell of a lot longer than the stock battery?
well see thats the catch 22.

a higher amperage battery will last a bit longer trhen stock...the problem is that the charging system isnt capable of keeping up with the demand of the quad. in a normal scenario like this...the battery would provide adequate power until the charging system has been offloaded (less lights being used or less demand) the person who stated that the stator needs help is correct....albiet an expensive fix IMO its the RIGHT way to fix this issue. a higher amperage battery is a band-aid for this problem.

the cdale's have the oposite problem. the battery doesnt have enough cold cranking amps to fire the engine fast enough for dead engine starts. once its fired there isnt anymore problems. we use a 24 volt system on some cdales ..while others are simply remedied by a stronger battery...easy and fast. its up to the rider to decide how he wants to fix his problem....it aint that easy with the yammy :cry

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by brad c@Oct 8 2003, 05:22 PM
...im just wondering if anyone has found a cure to this.
Yep... kickstarting.

·
Registered
983 Posts
nope. do the tail light (led light) fix and dont turn your lights on unless you need them. i never had a starting problem by just not turning the head lights on and calibratng the brake light not to go on until i truly use the firmly not when im dragging it a bit. you be suprised how much that helps. Granted, it should work fine from the factory using the Head lights and using the stock tail light bulb but until they fix that (next model year) adhering to these simple rules and fixes will work out for you.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Originally posted by selector+Oct 10 2003, 04:04 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (selector @ Oct 10 2003, 04:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--brad c@Oct 8 2003, 05:22 PM
...im just wondering if anyone has found a cure to this.
Yep... kickstarting. [/b][/quote]
:lol :lol :lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts