YFZ Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im building a 98mm, ported, cam, exhaust 06 and was wondering about a stroker crank. I dont really want to split the cases for a 2mm stroke so my question is what is the most stroke i can run without modifying the cases. Also can i use a cylinder spacer instead of buying another expensive cylinder and what do i do about a timing chain ? sorry for all the questions but just want to make sure im making a good choice thanks

·
Registered
899 Posts
I believe the longest you can go without modification is a +4 (over 06' crank) but, I believe you need to run a spacer plate. The cam chains I'd imagine you could get from JSR or, anyone who builds big stroker motors.

The +3 crank from hot rods is a straight drop in crank with no mods or, spacers. Those cranks do need to be balanced otherwise, it'll rattle you up pretty good and, are easier on the wallet. Falicone builds some of the best cranks around but, at a premium...$1400.

From what I've researched, the +3 stroker, +3 bore seem to be a pretty reliable setup. I like the idea that I am keeping the same stroke/bore ratio as stock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (dmpyfz @ Feb 19 2009, 08:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=748563
hey guys im building a 98mm, ported, cam, exhaust 06 and was wondering about a stroker crank. I dont really want to split the cases for a 2mm stroke so my question is what is the most stroke i can run without modifying the cases. Also can i use a cylinder spacer instead of buying another expensive cylinder and what do i do about a timing chain ? sorry for all the questions but just want to make sure im making a good choice thanks[/b]
A 6mm stroke is the most you can go without having to mod the cases. The 8mm stroke will yield more power tho, we do that in conjunction with a extra long connecting rod to lessen the rod ratio, a longer cam chain and a spacer. You do have to mod the cases for it to fit, but not much. Keep in mind something like this is more of a drag race engine and not your everyday runner. If you are looking to ride it everywhere, don't go any bigger than a 3mil. All numbers are based off the 04-05 model but still apply to the 06, you just have to subtract the difference from year to the next.

Hit us up if you need anything!!

·
Registered
899 Posts
QUOTE (dmpyfz @ Feb 21 2009, 12:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749070
thanks rudy i might be contacting you in the near future[/b]
What about me? You need to thank me for giving you the wrong information....LOL. :icon_biggrin:

Looks like I have a few more things to learn but, definitely good to know!

DFR Rudy seems to be a class act, very welcome addition to YFZcentral! :clap:

·
Registered
425 Posts
QUOTE (DFR Rudy @ Feb 20 2009, 08:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=748667
A 6mm stroke is the most you can go without having to mod the cases. The 8mm stroke will yield more power tho, we do that in conjunction with a extra long connecting rod to lessen the rod ratio, a longer cam chain and a spacer. You do have to mod the cases for it to fit, but not much. Keep in mind something like this is more of a drag race engine and not your everyday runner. If you are looking to ride it everywhere, don't go any bigger than a 3mil. All numbers are based off the 04-05 model but still apply to the 06, you just have to subtract the difference from year to the next.

Hit us up if you need anything!![/b]
what kind of cranks and rod are you referring to with the 6mm and the 8mm setups. what kind of case mods are you referring too? what about the counter balance on those setups? thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
QUOTE (DOZER520 @ Feb 22 2009, 12:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749350
what kind of cranks and rod are you referring to with the 6mm and the 8mm setups. what kind of case mods are you referring too? what about the counter balance on those setups? thanks[/b]
Falicon cranks, I have their 4 mil and a 98 JSR cylinder on my drag bike. I know you can get the chain and spacers from Falicon, I'm sure JSR has them too.
http://www.faliconcranks.com/

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (DOZER520 @ Feb 22 2009, 11:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749350
what kind of cranks and rod are you referring to with the 6mm and the 8mm setups. what kind of case mods are you referring too? what about the counter balance on those setups? thanks[/b]
We use modified OEM, cranks, it is less expensive to build them with no obvious difference in reliability than the Falicons (not that the Falicon stuff is bad, just really expensive. We use a Hot Rod, or a Falicon rod if requested. To clear the 8mil, you have to machine a small notch in the balancer shaft to clear the rod. You also have to slightly clearance the cases to clear the rod as well.

We have the 8mil YFZ's running real good, we just took 2nd in the last Four Stroke Wars (650 under power adder) with our 3 year old 8 mil stroker drag bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts