YFZ Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, i as doing my yfzs oil change and all i needed to do wasscrew the drain bolt back in and i was screwing and it didnt even feel like it was tigh....then all of a sudden...SNAP!!! :O the bolt was cracked in half and part of it was still stuck in the beast. :angry :angry :angry I could tell the inside is kinda stripped, but i really dont know what to do now... i gotta ride my yfz, but i cant b/c of te damn oil...what do the first thing to do. and how do i go aboutdoing it...thax!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Yea the drain screws you dont have to turn much and they are tight in there. Your gonna have to drill it probably to get it out. If your not mechanically challanged just do it yourself, or if you dont want to worry about messing it up again take it to your dealer and let them fix it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had good luck using a device called an "easy-out" to remove a broken off drain plug or bolt. You can get one at any hardware store. It reqires drilling a hole in the drain plug inserting the easy-out and backing out the drain plug. A drain plug should come out easy because it has oil on the threads.

·
Registered
333 Posts
use and easy out like he said... or if the bolt didnt break off flat and has a jagged edge use a flat head screwdriver and a hammer but be ever so carefull not to damage the threads..

·
Registered
227 Posts
Man, sorry for bring this thread back from the dead, but I just had this same problem happen to me! And I wanna go riding this weekend.

Does anyone know what kind of bolt to get to replace the on thats on the bottom of the resevour tank? Can I get one at my local hardware store? Please help me ASAP!

And, I am scared about the damn wrist pin problem alot of people are having. Now im scared to even ride the damn thing!

Anyways, and help is appriciated!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The engine oil drain bolt is an M10. Should be able to get one at NAPA or any other reputable parts house.
Only 14 ft.lbs. of torque on this one.
You guys really should use a torque wrench all the time. It's a pain in the ass to look up the specs..but it will save you al lot of grief in the long run....
I learned the hard way too.. :disgust: popped the flywheel cover plate and had to miss a scheduled ride while I waited for a used part on E-bay

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by fartndust@Nov 22 2005, 06:10 PM
The engine oil drain bolt is an M10.  Should be able to get one at NAPA or any other reputable parts house.
You guys really should use a torque wrench all the time.  It's a pain in the ass to look up the specs..but it will save you al lot of grief in the long run....
I learned the hard way too.. :disgust: popped the flywheel cover plate and had to miss a scheduled ride while I waited for a used part on E-bay
[snapback]328384[/snapback]​
Yeah...that sucks. ANd it suckd when this happened to me. Im investing in a torque wrench cause i dont want that to happen again

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thank you so much for replying. I appriciate it.

Anyways, is the wrist pin problem a big problem? I havent been on the boards lately, so Im kinda behind on things.

Again THANK YOU

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I personally know of no one that has had a wrist pin failure....although I've seen it on the board a time or two. No vehicle that you can buy to date is without a few flaws whether it's a quad, a car or truck. Even performance shops that hand assemble run into an issue on occasion. Keep your oil level topped off, keep changing it at regular intervals and 90% of us should be problem free. The other 10? :icon_eek:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Originally posted by fartndust@Nov 22 2005, 06:10 PM
The engine oil drain bolt is an M10.  Should be able to get one at NAPA or any other reputable parts house.
You guys really should use a torque wrench all the time.  It's a pain in the ass to look up the specs..but it will save you al lot of grief in the long run....
[snapback]328384[/snapback]​

dont you think he needs to know the tread pitch of the bolt? metric 10 doesnt tell him much. you need a 10 mm bolt with a 1.50 tread pitch buy about 15 mm long.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Thanks bansheeman, I just assumed......I uh.....um
:blah: O.K....I effed up :icon_neutral:

·
Registered
27 Posts
same thing happend to me but it was with two bolts that hold the oil filter cap in. I didn't even know I did it to the first one till the second made the big snap like you said. the dumb thing was i wasn't even putting pressure on the bolt, it was turning like it had long way to go. gotta be easy with'em, torque wrench is the only way to go.

i used an easy out to get both the bolts out. it may take some work but they'll come out don't worry. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts