YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has to be the sickest setup I've ever seen. Did a great job Nil, My favorite quad ever gentlemen!!!!!!!! There is a link below. It will bring you to a an album...... there were 13 pics and didnt wanna post em all :lol Here ya go Nil and let him know what ya'll think :rock

THIS IS THE LINK

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Trey man - can't thank you enough for posting this for me. Kudos!!

As I've gone just about as far as I'm gonna go wiht the suspension, I'm going to start on the motor. I'm looking for input on the best motor mod / bang for the buck.

I was going to do the 13:1 piston kit, but I've heard that there is very little noticeable difference. Ron Wood Racing has cams and offers a huge port/polish job for the head, with oversized 29/30mm Ti valves. Stage III kit is good for approx. 60+ hp according to Elliot and Ron. Just don't want to pay the serious $$$$.

Is there anything else one can do besides the piston kit, cams, or port/polish for the motor?

Thanks again trey!

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by velocity111@Dec 12 2003, 04:52 AM
Trey man - can't thank you enough for posting this for me. Kudos!!

As I've gone just about as far as I'm gonna go wiht the suspension, I'm going to start on the motor. I'm looking for input on the best motor mod / bang for the buck.

I was going to do the 13:1 piston kit, but I've heard that there is very little noticeable difference. Ron Wood Racing has cams and offers a huge port/polish job for the head, with oversized 29/30mm Ti valves. Stage III kit is good for approx. 60+ hp according to Elliot and Ron. Just don't want to pay the serious $$$$.

Is there anything else one can do besides the piston kit, cams, or port/polish for the motor?

Thanks again trey!
not a problem...... [email protected]$$ setup uve got there :rock :yfz

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Nils, do the piston, its a good mod. And for the money can't be beat in my book. Next for me will be a port job but not Woods high priced job. I ain't that concerened about 1 HP. If you are gonna be duning think about Alky, I almost have mine tuned in and DAMN its a big power increase. By the way your quad is looking great.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Thanks S! Had help dialing it in, like yourself with the jetting. Did you originally run your 13:1 on gas or alky? If gas, how was the power difference? I thought about alky, but decided I didn't want to have to deal with draining the fuel system every time I pack up, I think for now I'm going to stick with gas. Aside from the piston, cams, and porting (and CDI Vortex) I don't know that there is really much to do. I think it'll be a while until the stroker kits come out.

Thanks again for all your help!

Nils

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
do you race alot? bc i am in the processing of rebuilding my 400ex. if i wouldnt have messed with the motor at all, it wouldhave have burnt clutches and my crank wouldnt have went out...so unless you plan on working on it alot, i wouldnt touch the motor...JMO

·
Registered
319 Posts
How come your intake is aluminum? Mine is painted steel, If this is what i was supposed to get I will call Woods up.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
OMG DAWZIE!!!! i love the walsh arms! pep too man. WOW. did the walsh arms come pc'ed? i want to get black lowers and chrome uppers. how much did the whole front end run you? thats DEFINETLY the one i want 8|

oh yeh-how wide are you? that looks well over 50". im guessing those arent 4+1 rims either?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Thumper 450 - the intake was noticeable, but not amazingly so, meaning - you're only going to get so much from an intake swap and as far as that goes I'm very happy wiht the Ron Wood kit. I'd recommend it to anyone whoes interested, fit perfect, and is obviously much better than that constrictive rubber boot.

Xcyfz - don't quote me on this, but I'm 90% sure mine is painted steel as well. You can call Elliot at RWR, but i think I have the same intake as you. Only possible diff is that i got the intake kit for the 45mm mikuni carb instead of the 39mm intake. I reasoned that down the road if I step up to their stage III kit which uses a 45mm Mikuni carb, I would need to buy a new intake. Instead i bought the 45mm intake and pushed into the rubber end where it attaches to the carb, a section of the 39mm tubing, effectively eating up the space. I was worried about the lip it crreated, but haven't felt any difference at all. I'm using a power now valve as well, maybe that's helping. Either way, I'm pretty sure I have the same thing as you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was hoping to see dawzies swing arm :cry . I am supposed to have mine end of next week. I just want to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Originally posted by velocity111@Dec 12 2003, 04:37 PM
who can tell me how to reduce the size fo the pic? Sorry about that!
Depends on the software.

I use Paint Shop Pro 7.
Go to Image --> Resize
Either check the Pixel and reduce the height width or change to Inches and change there.
Then Save As.
:D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Do you like your Trail Tech lights?
Is it a good setup?

I've been looking at those but haven't seen how good they work actually on a bike.

How about those shocks? Are they good for casual use? Or more so for racing?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts