YFZ Central banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Yamaha jetting instructions state to run their recomended jetting with the filter cover off.

I did that and ended up with a airboz full of sand untill I found this, The EHS Air Box Cover.

Thanks to Meiko the Cat holding BoxCover in place
Note the filter is framed in quality billet aluminum as is the cover over the snorkle hole. The genuine Outerwear filter is correctly edged and installed smartly.
Choice of colors, and you can get the kit to build it yourself with your own airbox cover, or they'll send it to you complete.

Our 2 EHS covers arrived in excellent condition, remarkable quality

·
Registered
812 Posts
I went to their web site and I didn't see the YFZ450 on there yet, so I'm guessing you have to call to get that one. Those are awesome looking by the way. The Z400 ones were $80 for them to do it or the kit was $47, but with the extra metal for the YFZ, I'm guessing they'll be a little more expensive?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Mustache Ride@Jan 12 2004, 09:48 PM
eh.....just get a real intake with a an outerwear and you wont have to worry about that anyway.

looks cool though
I did do that and don't like the idea of a airbox filter housing full of gooey sand.

Several times I cleaned it out with a spoon solvent and towles and I don't like the idea of sand coating the gooey filter/outerwear.

This lid you simply wash off. The filter and box below isnt covered with gooey sand and is much easier to clean.

This method far superior to what you mention.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I just ordered my complete lid for $94 bux shipped priority from Eric. He coudnt be a nicer guy and told me to call him anytime if i had any questions.
Call him here and order EHS RACING 607-847-8765

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
That is nice I guess but I have not had a problem with my ESR intake with K&N and outerwear. And I don't even have an airbox much less a lid.

And I ride in the sand almost every weekend.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Yeah but for some of us in the wet & wild north east with lotsa mud & muck it might be a different story.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by seatec@Jan 13 2004, 08:16 AM
Yeah but for some of us in the wet & wild north east with lotsa mud & muck it might be a different story.
True, but I thought he was tallking about riding in the sand?

·
Registered
479 Posts
so with this mod you can get a pro flow kit or ron woods then add the filter cover?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by liftedtaco38s@Jan 13 2004, 12:26 PM
so with this mod you can get a pro flow kit or ron woods then add the filter cover?
Yes that is correct.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It would be a good idea to run those outerwear panels on both sides of the airbox as well. I would be concerned with that small surface area getting covered with mud and water (trail aplication)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
does anyone know where to get the outerwears material in like a roll? what do you guys think of a airbox made out of the material, in other words like a nice sturdy frame and each side has a peice of outerwear? maybe the whol ebottom covered up? any ideas?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey, I think I saw in "goldenwestcycle" that outerwears does make a airbox cover. ITs the same material as the filter outerwears, but kind if sounds like a "shower cap" Idea. It was only like $18. I'll call goldenwest, and see if they have them for the yfz.
Those lids do seem pretty nice though. I have never been one to liek running open lid. THough, I have since I have owned the yfz, cause there was such a big difference. I think I will be getting one of these lids, if outerwears doesnt have one of there little deals for the yfz

·
Registered
385 Posts
After looking into farther, I have decided to go with the EHS kit. I ride in real dusty conditions in the summer, and really wet conditions in the winter. I dont think I'll loose any performance by adding this lid. I just feel that its not safe to run NO airbox lid at all.
I have already found way to much dirty snow in my airbox, from running with no lid, however, running the K&N, with prodesign, and no lid, I have never got anything to flow past the filter. I ALWAYS am checking the intake boot, just to make sure!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just oredered mine. I was looking at the pics that he sent me and it looks like he kept the stock snorkel duct on there. I would recomend sawing that bad boy off, as that will make the airbox bigger in volume, and more air can be inside. Just my opinion though, thats what I am going to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts