YFZ Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went riding yesterday through some woods and caught a branch. Didnt think anything of it. Until I go and try to shift into 1st. My shifter was bent. :angry So do any of you guys have an aftermarket shifter? If so please tell me if you like it or not. I bent mine back but its still a pos so im looking to replace it with a stronger one :D please post pics of your shifter if you can. Thanks alot

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't buy an aluminum shifter. The splines on them start to strip out after a while. I had a pro design and it only lasted about a year.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i know esr has cheap brake leavers and they look sweet too. i just dont know if they make shifters you might check them out

·
Registered
102 Posts
aluminum didn't work for me either. It only lasted me 5 races and the splines were cooked. I have a roll now and is working fine.

One thing I must say is the GYTR(aluminum) shifter feels great. The shaft that touches your boot is longer that normal. It feels solid.

Just mu 2cents! :D

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Originally posted by YFZCentral@Jan 24 2004, 06:13 PM
I have an ESR one. So far so good!
thats nice lookin

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That ESR looks so sick :O :rock . Hows it been holding up so far? I cant seem to find ESR's website. What is it? I was looking at the GYTR but after seeing how sweet that shifter is i might have to get one of those. Still gotta check out the roll design one. How much are you guys paying for your shifters and where are you getting them from?
Thanks again ;)

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by YFZkid361@Jan 25 2004, 03:04 AM
That ESR looks so sick :O :rock . Hows it been holding up so far? I cant seem to find ESR's website. What is it? I was looking at the GYTR but after seeing how sweet that shifter is i might have to get one of those. Still gotta check out the roll design one. How much are you guys paying for your shifters and where are you getting them from?
Thanks again ;)
LINK<---- click that

·
Registered
743 Posts
Carefull bros. I'm sure you guys been ridin' a long time. I know I have. There has been many times I smashed a shifter. Stock ones usually bend, but most of the time you can still get through the day. Aluminum usually snaps instead, or strips at the spline. Rolls is a very strong piece. So much so that one time it took a wack and instead of Snapping, bending or stripping it stripped my spline. Sucked big time. What I do now is get an extra stock one or something like it for 5 bucks off E-bay and keep an extra. Food for thaught. :yfz

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey YFZCENTRAL, how much did tat EST shifter run you?

·
Registered
102 Posts
mikemike Posted on Jan 25 2004, 07:25 AM
Carefull bros. I'm sure you guys been ridin' a long time. I know I have. There has been many times I smashed a shifter. Stock ones usually bend, but most of the time you can still get through the day. Aluminum usually snaps instead, or strips at the spline. Rolls is a very strong piece. So much so that one time it took a wack and instead of Snapping, bending or stripping it stripped my spline. Sucked big time. What I do now is get an extra stock one or something like it for 5 bucks off E-bay and keep an extra. Food for thaught.

That solution ain't cool or expensive Mike, so it will never work. :D

·
Registered
743 Posts
:sup Ain't into the bling, I just ride da thing. :rock

As long as its Yamaha blue and not honda red.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i have a gyt-r shifter and i love it. the only thing i need to get was a case saver instead of the stock chain gaurd. since i had to move my shifter up b/c of my boots it kept hitting the guard when shifting up. look at the esr shifter it looks like it might do the same. so i think a case saver would be getter cleareance. other than that i love the shifter.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
How about wiring your shift lever to the frame like all the two-wheel Enduro guys do. I have to admit, I always see it done to their brake pedals, but never looked to see if they also do it to their shift levers. I imagine they do.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Originally posted by mikemike@Jan 25 2004, 07:25 AM
Carefull bros.  I'm sure you guys been ridin' a long time.  I know I have.  There has been many times I smashed a shifter.  Stock ones usually bend, but most of the time you can still get through the day.  Aluminum usually snaps instead, or strips at the spline.  Rolls is a very strong piece.  So much so that one time it took a wack and instead of Snapping, bending or stripping  it stripped my spline.  Sucked big time.  What I do now is get an extra stock one or something like it for 5 bucks off E-bay and keep an extra.  Food for thaught. :yfz
Good point, always better to leave a weak point that's cheaper and easier to repair. In the R/C world you always build strength but run things like plastic or aluminum spur (main) gears for a week spot. Way easier to replace then tearing down a diff or tranny. If you think that I'm comparing apples to oranges then take a look at this..

Progressive suspensions R/C EDC shocks. 4 damping settings plus spring pre-load. An engineer at Progressive likes R/C cars...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts