YFZ Central banner

best piston

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
4 or 5 years ago at the spring industry dealer motorcycle show in indiana, i saw some "basket weave" proto pistons..

the skirts had missing / open sections to them like a coarse weave on a basket.... light and strong design....

wonder if they will ever see production

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Its very funny you say that John. That is exactly how the skirts of out lexus GR series engine pistons are... Very solid design...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have installed and run every brand mentioned (except the wicked), and have experanced failure in every brand.. at some point in time these manufactors all have had design problems. In the last two years, none of the cp, weisco, or J&E pistons that I have installed have failed.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Its very funny you say that John. That is exactly how the skirts of out lexus GR series engine pistons are... Very solid design...

im going to look that up, ronnie.... thanks for the info.... i didnt know they were used in anything production yet

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I dont believe the "basket weave" piston would hold up imo.

Most of the first issues with aftermarket pistons was no one was putting pin oiling holes in the pistons to help lube the Pin causing them to gull up and seize the motor.

Since then alot of companys have finally added oiling holes in the piston for this reason.

When i get the new billets in with all full coating i will post a pic up and let you all know a ride report once the motor is assembled.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
have also seen pistons in those industry shows that have larger skirt only on the forward facing thrust surface of the pistons....

still low weight but with high durability spreading out thrust force...

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I dont believe the "basket weave" piston would hold up imo.

Most of the first issues with aftermarket pistons was no one was putting pin oiling holes in the pistons to help lube the Pin causing them to gull up and seize the motor.

Since then alot of companys have finally added oiling holes in the piston for this reason.

When i get the new billets in with all full coating i will post a pic up and let you all know a ride report once the motor is assembled.

and??

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Updated the poll, kinda iffy on having stuff that's no longer in production on it though. Confusing to some new members.

was just goofing anyways... thanks though... :)

you gotta transfer the VCP votes to venom... nobody knows what vcp is ...lol

·
Super Moderator
4,532 Posts
was just goofing anyways... thanks though... :)

you gotta transfer the VCP votes to venom... nobody knows what vcp is ...lol
I was thinking about removing them and the wicked but then i'd have to remove the venom to. You really should do some more of those pistons, you know you'd sell them! :lol

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
thank you, but it was such a bad experience for me......

lost a lot more than money on that exchange.... too many haters kept people that dont know from buying them .... money sat on shelves.... it was awful....

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
the deal was also like this....

you could get a better deal if you ordered at least 10 pistons, since it costs a company less time the more pistons they make in one batch with one set of forgings and one program

so, you have the higher price for customs .... and things like lateral gas ports cost take the cost up even more....

so, stock bore needs to be done in pump gas and in race gas....

then comes 98mm in pump gas and race gas....

and for the hell bent crowd with jsr cylinders... 100mm in pump and race gas....

so now you have 60 pistons at approx $160 each sitting on a shelf.... 9600bucks invested in just one brand....

then... you dont want to rape people an charge as much for a single cylinder piston the same amount as for a complete set of V8 pistons..... (so much in our sport is crazy high priced compared to V8 hot rod stuff)

and then to be cool you should split the profit with anyone dealing your pistons....

that's a lot of money (for me) to have invested.... all to make about $30 bucks per piston if they all sell....

if not through dealers, then you would make about $60 per piston... but you have to pay tax on profit anyways.....

scary having all your $$ sitting on a shelf

it was also fun for me to make stuff i was proud of... and i sponsored all i could too...

but give one piston away.... and you have to sell 3~4 more just to break even and make zero money for 4 pistons gone....

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
.... nevermind didn't read your last post

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I've been following this thread... I would also take a pump gas venom piston. They seem so highly praised. I know little about them but would bank on one!

81 - 100 of 132 Posts